Newsletter for March 20

Spring break edition — Suspect charged after posting racist flyers, New U of C scholarship for kids of CPS teachers, Binny’s opens on 47th

Good morning. Welcome to spring break …

The College released admissions decisions for the Class of 2021 on Friday. And Pritzker School of Medicine Students were matched with residency programs.

A man who was stopped on March 9 by UCPD for putting up racist and anti-Semitic posers has been charged for property damage. (bit.ly/2n55YCB) Related: Anti-Semitic flyers were found on UIC’s campus Saturday. (bit.ly/2nHli6C)

Booth fell from second place to third in the most recent U.S. News & World Report business school rankings (bit.ly/2lJLc8m). The University held on to the fourth spot in law school rankings. (bit.ly/2mmVz55)

“All signs point to approval” in Medici’s application for a liquor license, according to a Hyde Park Herald story about a neighborhood meeting on the application. (bit.ly/2nu348z)

The Trump administration put out its first budget outline last week. It proposes $900 million in cuts from the Department of Education’s Office of Science, which funds Fermilab and Argonne—two University of Chicago–affiliated laboratories. The Office of Science gave at least $4,731,906 to the University last year. (bit.ly/2mEGDvD) More: Inside Higher Ed explains what the budget would mean for colleges (bit.ly/2mSqyG4)

First-year College Council representative Sat Gupta announced on Facebook that the University has agreed to supply free tampons and sanitary pads in Harper Memorial Library, Ratner Athletics Center, the Regenstein Library, Reynolds Club, and Saieh Hall.

At the South by Southwest conference in Austin, TX, Joe Biden called on tech innovators to join the fight to end cancer, and he praised the University of Chicago’s Genomic Data Commons project: “Just since we started this aggregation of information at the University of Chicago…80 million times that that has been accessed. Eighty million times. By researchers all over the world.” (trib.in/2mWBvVH)

Police were called to the Hyde Park Jewish Community Center again last week in response to a bomb threat. Centers around the U.S. were threatened. (bit.ly/2mEBow6)

Carolyn Rush, 1st Congressional District Representative Bobby Rush’s wife, died last week. (trib.in/2lTXvDr) Funeral services were held Saturday at the Freedom Temple Church of God in Christ in Chicago.

A Hyde Park women’s choir is heading to D.C. this summer to perform at the Kennedy Center. Check out our video feature (bit.ly/2m2rs3V)

Third-year rapper Ben Glover, also known as Chief Wicked, released an album last week. Listen to Pink Waves on iTunes or Soundcloud.

Dean Boyer was reappointed to a sixth term as Dean of the University.

The VP of Civic Engagement for the Obama Foundation, which is responsible for the Obama presidential center and library, spoke at the eighth annual Woodlawn Community Summit at the SSA this weekend. Several community groups in neighborhoods near the site of the library are hoping to secure a promise from the Obama Foundation that it will do things for the community like create jobs and ensure affordable housing. The Foundation has said it does not think a written community benefits agreement is necessary.

• Point: Woodlawn pastor Rev. Byron Brazier, who is partnered with a yet-unformed nonprofit that will provide community feedback to the Foundation, told the Sun Times: “The reason why I am not for a contractual benefits agreement…I trust the Obamas.” (bit.ly/2mBDnlt)
  • Counterpoint: Executive director of the 51st Street Business Association Sandra Bivens said at the summit: “It has nothing to do with trust; we trust them.… It’s about an opportunity for the Foundation to lead by example with a community benefits agreement.” (bit.ly/2nad4Gg)

The University of Chicago’s official twitter account (@UChicago) was compromised by pro-Turkish government hackers last week. The hacked tweets were quickly deleted and the account is secure.

The University announced a full tuition scholarship for children of CPS teachers. (bit.ly/2nzBzxA)

Binny’s opened at its new location on 47th Street. It’s three times bigger than its now-closed 53rd Street store. (bit.ly/2nEiKGe)

Fabiana’s Bakery is opening its 53rd Street location soon.

For the University of Chicago Magazine, Tom Heberlein (A.B. ’67) looked back at an admissions “experiment” to recruit applicants from small, rural schools in the midwest. Fifty years later, he tracked down a dozen or so GRITS (“Grass Roots Talent Search”) students. The most consistent criticism of the program from the GRITS kids 50 years later was captured by Loren Nelson: ‘They pretty much just said welcome, we’re glad you’re here, and threw me in the deep end.’ … Even small things could become a source of anxiety, like when Jane Grady got an invitation to a dinner party and realized she had never had dinner at someone’s house who was not a relative. Another GRITS kid recalls realizing after her parents left that she had no idea how to get home to Wisconsin.” (bit.ly/2nzBsCf)

In 360° video, the New York Times features University of Chicago Arts and Public Life Director Theaster Gates’s exhibit at the National Gallery of Art. (nyti.ms/2mHSvhb)

A paper published in the National Bureau of Economic Research, co-authored by a Booth researcher, found that women in finance are more likely than men to be disciplined by employers for misconduct. (bit.ly/2nEpTql)

The Shady Dealer rigorously inquires: “Dude, what the hell are you wearing?” in a spoof of the Maroon’s fashion feature, Manual of Style. (bit.ly/2mWiq60)