David Brooks Named Class Day Speaker

At UChicago Brooks was a columnist for the Viewpoints section of the Maroon.

New York Times columnist David Brooks (A.B. ’83) will deliver a speech at the new ceremony that has been added to Convocation weekend.

Class Day will feature a guest speaker, student speeches, and College awards. It is designed to replace the Baccalaureate Ceremony that has traditionally taken place in Rockefeller Memorial Chapel, as the size of the venue limited the attendance of the event. The Class Day celebration will take place on the main quad on June 9, from 2–4 p.m. The event is open to graduating students, their families and friends, and the rest of the University community.

Brooks, a conservative political pundit, has written for several publications including The Wall Street Journal, The Atlantic, Newsweek, and The Weekly Standard. He is also a frequent participant in PBS NewsHour.

In a 2013 interview Brooks told The Maroon that he spent much of his time studying in the stacks of the fourth floor of Regenstein Library and dining at Harold’s Chicken during his time at the University. Brooks majored in history and explained that he still references authors whose works he read for the Core for pieces he writes today. He was a columnist for the Viewpoints section of The Maroon.

The Saturday morning Convocation ceremony will remain a separate event and unaffected by the addition of Class Day to Convocation weekend. Beginning this year, graduating students will receive their diplomas alongside members of their residence halls in eight different ceremonies.