Maroons Seek to Avenge Crushing Loss

After a tight loss against Washington University in St.Loui, the Maroons return to home court to play NYU and Brandeis.

The Chicago Maroons return home this weekend to face off against NYU and Brandeis University. Following a heart-breaking loss last weekend against UAA foe, Washington University in St. Louis, the Maroons look to get back on track in UAA play. Balanced scoring among four of the five Maroon starters kept them in control for the majority of the contest. Wash U snatched the lead and the win with only six seconds left by nailing two free throws. 

Looking ahead to this weekend’s play, The Maroons have had a distinct home court advantage. Overall this season, Chicago is 4–2 at home and 0–6 on the road. Regarding their strengths, second–year point guard Jordan Baum said, “I think we are moving the ball really well. No one is playing selfish basketball and it has been allowing us to find the open man almost every time down the court. We are improving in transition and rebounding, which will both be vital this weekend.”

Experience could bode well for the Maroons this weekend. NYU and Brandeis are two of the younger and more inexperienced teams in the UAA. NYU’s roster lists only one senior and four juniors, while the Judges’ roster includes two seniors and one junior. Hopefully the Maroons experience and depth will help them fend off two young, upstart teams. Baum commented on this weekend’s matchups saying, “We are really going to have to focus on rebounding this weekend as NYU is a big team that aggressively crashes the offensive boards. I think our whole team is confident that we can continue the level of play that we displayed against Wash U last weekend. If we keep playing at that level, we will be able to play with any team in the UAA.”

Last weekend in St. Louis, fourth–year shooting guard Jake Fenlon became the career leader in three pointers made with 207 and will look to add on to that. Fenlon passes Jesse Meyer (A.B. ’07), who made 205 triples for this career mark. Fenlon commented on the career achievement by saying, “It means a lot to me to be the career leader in three pointers made. There have been so many incredible players to come before me and to be even thought of in the same breath as some of these guys is incredible. I would like to thank my friends, my coaches, my parents, and my teammates for making this possible. I hope the record lasts for a while, or at least a year until [third-year] Noah [Karras] breaks it.“ 

The Maroons tip off against NYU on Friday at 8 p.m. and play the second leg of round robin play on Sunday versus Brandeis at 11 a.m.