Newsletter for January 19

New bubble tea bar opens; Zimmer on CBS; Obama Foundation releases major donors list

Good morning. It’s third week.

New bubble tea bar opens: Te Amo Boba Bar Café, located in Campus North, had a soft opening Tuesday. The café, which serves Taiwanese-style bubble tea, iced tea, and fruit freezes, was so busy that it ran out of boba on its first day. 

Zimmer on CBS: It appears President Robert J. Zimmer will be featured on this weekend's CBS Sunday Morning show for a cover story on free speech and college campuses. Also listed on the schedule is Middlebury’s Allison Stanger, who testified with President Zimmer before a Senate committee in October.

Who is funding the Obama Center? The Foundation posted a list of major donors on Tuesday. Some of the $1 million+ backers (or their families) have also contributed to the University: The Kenneth C. Griffin Charitable Gift Fund, Joe and Rika Mansueto, and the Pritzker Traubert Foundation. The family of Booth professor Austan Goolsbee has pledged between $100,000 and $250,000.

Hispanic firms excluded from Obama Center construction: Representatives from the Hispanic American Construction Industry Association (HACIA) alongside two local politicians held a press conference and protest outside Harper Court in order to express their frustration at the lack of Hispanic firms being involved in the Obama Presidential Center project.

Bergstein’s Deli closed on 55th Street last month. The University said it is still considering its options for the next tenant.

• Owner Bill Davis: “The University was very supportive in terms of catering. However, our walk-in business never really achieved the level we needed to be successful.” 

Booth Dean Madhav Rajan bought a $3.1 million, 3,000 square-foot condo on the 62nd floor of Water Tower Place, the Tribune “Elite Street” reports.

The death of a woman who died in a fire in an apartment at 54th Street and Cornell Avenue was ruled an accident by the medical examiner’s office. The cause was “probable careless use of smoking materials,” according to the Herald

Crane permit for Rubenstein forum: The University got its first crane permitfor construction of a conference center at the southeast corner of East 60th Street and South Woodlawn Avenue.

Robert Lalonde (A.B. ’90), a professor at Harris, passed away on Wednesday due to illness. Lalonde’s research focused on “program evaluation, education and training of the workforce, economic effects of immigration on developed countries, costs of worker displacement, impact of unions and collective bargaining in the United States, and economic and social consequences of incarceration,” according to his bio on the Harris School’s site.

The University of Nebraska’s Board of Regents will consider a free speech policy that reaffirms its commitment to the First Amendment next week. The policy is modeled after the University of Chicago’s Report of the Committee on Freedom of Expression. 

Correction: In the last newsletter, we noted that the next University of Chicago Political Union debate would be held January 17, when the debate will actually take place next Wednesday. We regret the error. 

d tea, and fruit freezes, was so busy that it ran out of boba on its first day. 

In Viewpoints

Editor Cole Martin writes in: 

The Editorial Board argues that Grounds of Being is a beloved campus institution and should be protected.

Columnist Lucas Du reflects on how his love for football is complicated by his increasing awareness that the sport profoundly hurts its players.

Columnist Krishna Sunder muses on an awkward class interaction we're all familiar with: borrowing a pen and forgetting to give it back.

In Sports 

Editor Cavell Means writes in:

Men's and women's basketball hit the road, looking to pick up some more wins. The wrestling team hosts North Central College this weekend. The swimming and diving teams honor their seniors, while track and field revs up for another meet.

In Arts

Editor May Huang writes in: 

Sliced Bread Magazine turned 10 last year and released their latest issue this week. Drop by their launch party in Reynolds Club tonight.

“History of Perception” is both a new exhibit at the Smart—and a class taught Michael Rossi, assistant professor in the history of medicine. Students will contribute to the exhibition throughout the quarter.

Martin McDonagh’s “Three Billboards Outside Ebbing, Missouri” has been praised for its writing, but criticized for its treatment of race.

Subscribe at chicagomaroon.com/newsletter. Feedback via e-mail