/  

January 24, 2018

/  

10:43 p.m.

Students Demonstrate Outside Booth to Demand University Rescind Bannon's Invitation

About 100 protesters were demonstrating outside Booth at 8:50 a.m.

Brooke Nagler / The Chicago Maroon

Students organized a demonstration for 8:30 a.m. on Thursday at the Booth School of Business to demand the University rescind Steve Bannon's invitation to speak. 

About 100 people showed up to the demonstration. Chants have included “No hate, no fear, Nazi thugs aren’t welcome here,” and “Disinvite! Disinvite! Disinvite!”

The Maroon reported Wednesday afternoon that Bannon has accepted an invitation from Booth professor Luigi Zingales to come speak at the University. The event has not yet been scheduled.

image

Brooke Nagler / The Chicago Maroon

Campus organizers from UChicago YDSA, UChicago Student Action, UChicago Socialists, and Students Working Against Prisons are organizing the demonstration:

As the founder of Breitbart News and a top advisor to Donald Trump, Bannon has promoted misogynistic, homophobic, white supremacist ideologies that demean and dehumanize marginalized communities. His presence on campus sends a clear message that the administration cares more about “freedom of expression” than the lives and well-being of students, faculty, staff, and Hyde Park residents. Join us at Booth tomorrow morning to show that we won’t tolerate white supremacy in our community and demand the University rescind its invitation.

RELATED COVERAGE

Steve Bannon Accepts Invitation to Speak at the University of Chicago

By Pete Grieve and Euirim Choi

Booth professor Luigi Zingales, who is interested in populism, confirmed to The Maroon that Bannon accepted his invitation.

/  

January 24, 2018

/  

5:25 p.m.

Why Professor Zingales Says He Invited Steve Bannon

Maroon Staff

Outrage Expressed, Protests Planned Against Bannon Visit at Public Forum

Deepti Sailappan