/  

January 25, 2018

/  

11:07 a.m.

Why Professor Zingales Says He Invited Steve Bannon

Booth Professor Luigi Zingales, who invited Steve Bannon to campus, released the following statement Thursday morning. 

As a university our primary mission is to form new citizens of the world. As a business school our primary mission is to form new business leaders of the world. I can hardly think of a more important issue for new citizens and business leaders of the world than the backlash against globalization and immigration that is taking place not just in America, but in all the Western World. At the University of Chicago, we have some of the best economic minds of the planet. It is our civic duty to engage them in finding the causes of this backlash and in trying to address them. Whether you agree with him or not (and I personally do not), Mr. Bannon has come to interpret and represent this backlash in America. For this reason, I invited Mr. Bannon to a debate on these issues with our faculty. I firmly believe that the current problems in America cannot be solved by demonizing who think differently, but by addressing the causes of their dissatisfaction. Hate cannot be defeated by hate, but only by reason.

RELATED COVERAGE

Students Demonstrate Outside Booth to Demand University Rescind Bannon's Invitation

By Maroon Staff

A protest has been organized at 8:30 a.m. tomorrow at Booth.

/  

January 24, 2018

/  

10:43 p.m.

Campus Groups Demand Disinvitation; University Defends Bannon's Right to Speak

Katie Akin