Quadruple Win in the Pool

Both the men’s and women’s swimming and diving teams went 2–0 on the weekend, bringing home four wins for the Maroons.

The UChicago swimming and diving team cruised through their meet this weekend with a dominating performance. The Maroons swept both DePauw University and Lake Forest College, winning a total of 37 events and continuing their momentum from their last couple of meets. 

At DePauw, the men’s team completed a commanding performance over the Tigers by a score of 151–125. It turned out to be a successful meet for third-year Michael Todd, who claimed two individual events in the 200-yard butterfly and 200-yard breaststroke. Todd was also a member of the men’s winning 200-yard medley relay team. 

The women’s team dominated the Tigers by winning every single event except for one with a final score of 179–87. First-year Nadia Redza led the way by winning three individual events with the 100-yard breaststroke, 200-yard breaststroke and 400-yard individual medley. Nadia was a part of the winning 200-yard medley relay team as well. 

“The swim and dive team had a great performance this weekend, especially with split-squad dual meets. After a hard week of training, the women’s team won all but one event at DePauw University, and the men won a majority of the events at both meets,” Redza said. 

While half of the team enjoyed their time at DePauw, the other half swept Lake Forest. The men’s team topped the Foresters 114.5–89.5, while the women’s team won 142–87. Another school record was broken this weekend, with second-year Agnes Lo scoring 298.95 in the three-meter diving event. For the men’s team, first-year Tucker Rivera won two individual events in the 400-yard individual medley and 200-yard breaststroke. Tucker also helped the 200-yard medley relay claim a first-place finish. 

For the women’s team, third-year Daria Wick performed admirably in her freestyle events. Wick claimed first place in the 50-yard freestyle and 100-yard freestyle, and she helped the 200-yard freestyle relay team come out on top. 

With successful results this weekend, Redza hopes this momentum continues in the coming weeks. “It gives a boost of confidence going into championship season as we have UAAs in about two weeks. We’re all feeling good about our training, and hopefully we can place in the top three at UAAs,” Redza said. 

The Maroons anticipate keeping up their solid performances in their next meet this upcoming weekend at UIC.