98 Percent of Students Completed Required Sexual Assault Training

UChicago implemented the EverFi program in 2016 in accordance with the Illinois Preventing Sexual Violence in Higher Education Act.

98 percent of all UChicago students completed the required EverFi online sexual assault training this quarter, the Office of Sexual Misconduct Prevention and Support said on Tuesday.

The number includes 99.2 percent of undergraduates, 97.3 percent of graduate students, and 97.5 percent of continuing students.

Students who did not complete the training before November 9 are prohibited from registering for winter quarter courses until they complete the program.

According to EverFi’s website, the training program aims to educate students on the impact of sexual assault, provide guidance for those who have experienced harm, and promote healthy relationships through the use of online modules that use real-world scenarios.

UChicago implemented the EverFi program in 2016 in accordance with the Illinois Preventing Sexual Violence in Higher Education Act, a policy signed by Governor Bruce Rauner in 2015 that imposed numerous regulations on higher education institutions’ response to sexual violence on campus.

EverFi made headlines in 2017 after receiving a $190 million investment from several high-profile businesspeople such as Amazon CEO Jeff Bezos, Alphabet chairman Eric Schmidt, and Twitter cofounder Evan Williams.