Women’s Basketball Looks to Make it 20 Straight

Owners of a 18-game winning streak, the South Siders look to keep the good tide rolling.

The No. 11-ranked Maroon women’s basketball team returns home for two more conference games this weekend against Carnegie Mellon University and Case Western Reserve University. The Maroons are riding an astonishing 18-game win streak which has earned them a share of the University Athletic Association title along with their first NCAA tournament berth. This past weekend, the Maroons traveled to New York to take on New York University and Brandeis University, defeating them both handily. 

In their first game of the weekend, Chicago rolled over the Violets 59–47. The Maroons were only down once during the game and, at one point, had a winning margin as large as 18 points. Per usual,  many players contributed to the Maroon offense, with second-years Taylor Lake and Mia Farrell leading the charge with 14 points each. Lake also earned a double-double 11 rebounds. Defense was not to be outdone, however, limiting NYU to only 9 points per quarter, in the first three quarters. Chicago also was more effective from the three-point line, making 6 of 16 compared to the Violets’ 3 of 14.  

In their final game of the weekend, the Maroons dismissed Brandeis 81–56. Farrell, once again, led the team scoring effort with 15 points. Lake and second-year Miranda Burt along with third-year Jamie Kockenmeister and first-year Marissa Igunbor all scored 9 points each. Third-year Olariche Obi had 11 points and eight rebounds to round out the offensive effort, which stomped on Brandeis. Chicago was never behind in the game and outshot the Judges by 17 percent.  

The Maroons’ regular season is winding down as they only have three conference games left before the NCAA Tournament.  Their two upcoming games should not be too much of a challenge as both teams have only won one game each in UAA play. The Maroons face off against the Tartans on Friday night and against the Spartans on Sunday afternoon.