Track And Field Continues to Make Strides

This weekend, the University of Chicago hosted the Windy City invitational, where the women’s track and field team finished first and the men’s second.

The track and field teams’ performances this past weekend at the two-day Windy City Indoor Invitational were definitely one for the books. With the men’s team placing second out of 12 teams and the women’s team stealing first out of 10 teams, the Maroons are making a name for themselves. 

The men won four individual event titles, and the women won five. The men’s event winners included third-year Ben Chaimberg in the 800-meter, first-year Kiyan Tavangar in the 3,000-meter, fourth-year Nathan Downey in the pole vault, and second-year Alexander Scott in the shot put. The women’s event winners included second-years Lucy Kenig-Ziesler in the 5,000-meter, Robin Peter in the 60-meter hurdles, Mary Martin in the long jump, and Isabel Garon in the pole vault. The meet also consisted of a pentathlon, an athletic event that includes shot put, long jump, high jump, 60-meter hurdles, and the 800-meter run. Second-year Laura Darcey competed in the pentathlon for the Maroons, sweeping all five events, placing first, and finishing more than 400 points ahead of the second-place finisher from Hope College.  

Darcey commented on her excitement this past weekend and on her pride in her team’s performance. “I think that the team had a really solid weekend, performing well over all of the events,” Darcey said. “We’re improving week by week, and it’s really exciting to watch. The most exciting part of the weekend for me was watching Robin Peter in the 60-meter hurdles. She ran an incredible time and is knocking on the door of what she did last year.” 

Darcey also commented on her personal performance after leading her team to a first-place win. “I’m happy with how I performed this weekend. I know where there is room to improve, and hopefully I can build on my performance and score higher in the national meet. My personal goal is to gain confidence in the 800. I ran a solid time, but to be a contender in the national meet, I need to be running faster,” Darcey said. 

The team’s trajectory moving forward is certainly pointed upward. With more important meets in view, the Maroons are practicing and preparing. The Maroons aim to work on improving a little bit each day. “The team’s goal this season continues to be the conference,” Darcey said. “Each week, performances have been getting better. We are all working towards the common goal of taking the title in every meet and ultimately at the end of the season.” 

On February 10, the track and field teams will travel to UW–Whitewater to compete in the Midwest Invite, where they hope to continue paving their way to a conference title.