Harris Center Will Host Obama Foundation-Backed Masters Program

25 Students will receive full scholarships and compensation for their living expenses during the program’s first year.

A new one-year master’s program at the Harris School of Public Policy, the Obama Foundation Scholars Program, aims to train young leaders dedicated to service, with a focus on international development and policy.  

The program, in collaboration with the Obama Foundation, will begin fall quarter of next year, and hopes to attract applicants from across the world. For its inaugural year, about 25 students will receive full scholarships and living-expenses stipends for the program. 

Besides academic classes, program activities will also include experiences in New York and Washington, D.C., service projects, South Side–based community engagements, and other leadership opportunities mediated through the Obama Foundation’s network. 

The deadline to apply for the 2018 program is April 10. 

“I’m looking forward to welcoming an outstanding class of young people to Chicago’s South Side—the future home of the Obama Presidential Center. And we hope that each class of Obama Foundation Scholars begins a journey in which they inspire more young people to build the world as it should be,” Obama said in an announcement about the program.