Women’s Tennis Whacks Whitewater, Wash U

Looking forward to the upcoming UAA Championship, the women’s tennis team grabs two more wins against WashU and UW-Whitewater, granting them five consecutive wins.

The UChicago women’s tennis team went on the road this weekend to Janesville, Wisconsin, to take on Wash U on Saturday and UW–Whitewater on Sunday. The Maroons have been on form recently, winning their last five matches. Heading into the UAA Championship on April 27 in Altamonte Springs, Florida, the Maroons look primed for another championship run.

On Saturday, UChicago gutted out a hard-fought win against Wash U for the second weekend in a row. Due to injury and illness, the Maroons have leaned on their younger classes down the stretch of the season. With three of the six singles players being first-years, the Maroons battled the Bears from Wash U. The team score became tied at four matches apiece, and the only match remaining was that of second-year Estefi Navarro. Navarro battled into the third-set tiebreak and ultimately pulled out a clutch win 10–8. 

Third-year Adrienne Travis commented on the matches and the season thus far. She said, “We have all improved so much throughout the season and have all grown as players, especially our freshmen. Our Wash U match was a tough one, but one that displayed our team grit. No. 1 through No. 5 singles all went to third sets, with it all coming down to Estefi’s match. Both teams were standing and screaming for our teammates, and ultimately Estefi handled the pressure like a pro and clinched the win.”

The next day, the Maroons squared off against the hosts, UW–Whitewater. Using the energy and momentum from the massive win against Wash U the day before, Chicago blasted through the Warhawks. The Maroons took two out of the three doubles matches. Following doubles play, the Maroons made swift work by winning No. 1, No. 3, No. 4, and No. 6 singles in straight sets with Travis demolishing her opponent 6–0, 6–2. 

The Maroons look to utilize the two weeks heading up to the UAA Championships to get healthier and hopefully play a few matches outdoors. Travis commented on the fickle Chicago spring weather, “We haven’t had the opportunity to play outside as much as we would have liked, due to the snow. But hopefully, the weather turns for the better and allows us to prepare outside heading into the UAAs.” The Maroon women will have a few days off before heading down to Florida for the UAA Championship.