Softball Looks to Bounce Back

Following a hot four-game win streak, the Maroon women had a rough weekend as they went 1-3 against Wisconsin-Whitewater and Millikin, collectively.

The University of Chicago women’s softball team dropped to 14–10 overall after they received two losses during a trip to Decatur, IL, to take on the Millikin Big Blue. The Maroons dropped the first game in the double header 5–2, and lost the second contest by the same margin, this time 6–3. Millikin improved to 16–10.  

The first game saw the South Siders get off to a hot start at the plate, loading the bases at the top of the first inning. However, the Maroons were not able to get any runs across the plate in the inning, and the Big Blue quickly responded by plating four runners in the bottom of the first. Millikin added another run off of a solo shot in the third frame, and UChicago finally got on the board in the fifth with two runs. Second-year Emma Nelson and third-year Maeve Garvey picked up the two RBIs. Those runs, however, would be the last to cross the plate in the game. Both teams finished with six hits, and the Maroons had one error. No UChicago player tallied more than one hit, and all hits were singles. 

The second contest saw the Maroons again have hot bats to start, taking an early 2–0 lead. Third-year Serena Moss picked up an RBI single, and first-year Skye Collins came through next with an RBI double. Millikin plated one run in the bottom of the second, and then came through with four more runs in the fifth frame, most of which came off of a three-run double. The home side added another run in the sixth, and third-year Carly Shultz added the Maroons’ only other run with an RBI single. UChicago tallied eight hits to Millikin’s 11, and they also finished with one error. Garvey went 3-for-4, and Schulz went 2-for-4.  

Nelson spoke of the doubleheader: “We’ve had a really frustrating season weather-wise. The cold, snow, and rain have really disrupted the flow of our season. Being able to pick up the Millikin games was nice to get out on the field and play, but I think some of the disruption showed. We played solidly on defense, but our at bats did not look as solid as they did a week or two ago.” 

The South Siders were looking to end a three-game losing streak on Wednesday at Lawrence University, but those games have been postponed due to weather. This Sunday’s games at Kalamazoo have also been postponed until a later date. As the Maroons are not in a softball conference, they are currently in a race against the clock to make up their postponed games before other teams’ conference play starts.  

Nelson spoke of the rest of the season, “We are taking the next few days of practice to really put some work in and regroup for the next couple of weeks ahead. We’ve got some great opportunities to fight for some wins coming up and make a strong run for the end of the season.” 

UChicago’s next doubleheader is currently scheduled for this Tuesday, April 24, at home against Elmhurst. The first game will commence at 3 p.m.