Woodlawn Jewel-Osco To Open March 7

The grocery store branch was brought to Woodlawn through the efforts of Preservation of Affordable Housing (POAH) Chicago.
-

Jewel-Osco will open its new Woodlawn supermarket at the corner of 61st Street and Cottage Grove Avenue on March 7, capping off a nearly two-year wait for the store among Woodlawn and Hyde Park residents.

“The 48-thousand square foot location will be a full service store that will also feature fresh organic produce, grab and go options and a drive through pharmacy,” Mary Frances Trucco, director of public affairs and government relations for Jewel-Osco, told The Maroon by e-mail. “Jewel-Osco is honored to be part of the historic Woodlawn community and we look forward to welcoming our customers.”

The grocery store branch was originally announced in 2017 and came about in part through the efforts of Preservation of Affordable Housing (POAH) Chicago, a nonprofit that develops affordable housing that has previously carried out housing projects in Woodlawn.

POAH Chicago Vice President Bill Eager told The Maroon in November 2017 that the University of Chicago was “very helpful in getting the grocery store here in terms of signaling to Jewel that they wanted a new grocery store in their backyard.”

Woodlawn is currently considered by some to be a food desert, defined as an area with low access to fruit, vegetables, and healthy food options.

The new Jewel-Osco will also serve as a possible grocery store option for Hyde Park residents, who have clamored for another option since Treasure Island closed in October.