NEWSLETTER

/  

October 10, 2019

Graduate Student Funding Structure Replaced; University Alum Gets Chemistry Nobel; Grey City Explores Campus Accessibility | Newsletter for October 10

Subscribe to the Maroon Newsletter.

Good morning. It's second week. 🌞

The number of Ph.D. students in the Humanities and Social Sciences Divisions, SSA, SSD, and the Divinity School will be capped as part of several changes that will be implemented under a new funding structure for graduate students. 

• In an email released Tuesday, Provost Daniel Diermier announced that the new framework is part of an effort by the University to reduce student attrition and shorten students’ time to earn a degree. 

• GSU spokesperson, Emily Smith: “This is the second major change to our funding structure, with little to no input from the people affected by these changes, that’s happened this year.” 

A 303-person section of Organic Chemistry is being offered this fall — with no classroom space in the department to fit the demand. So lectures in Kent 107 will be broadcasted in a live-stream down the hall in Kent 120. 

• The classroom overflow is by no means unique to introductory chemistry classes, however. The Maroon looked into how intro classes in several popular majors on campus have been faring over the past couple years.

[photo id = "56516" align /]

A legendary laureate: University alum John Goodenough (S.M. ‘50, Ph.D. ‘52) is one of this year’s Nobel laureates in chemistry, alongside two other academics with whom he created the lithium-ion battery in the 1970s. 

• At 97-years-old, Goodenough is the oldest recipient in Nobel history — and remains active in academic research.

Subscribe to our mailing list

* indicates required

Changes are coming to the Department of Music’s undergraduate major and minor in order to make their requirements more flexible. Among other changes, students in the major or minor will no longer need to take three-quarter sequences or participate in department ensembles.

In Sports

Editor Alison GIll writes in:

The men’s tennis team heads into offseason training after mixed results at the ITA Central Regionals. Ahead of Homecoming Weekend, the Maroons’ football team leveled their record at 2-2 with a drubbing of the overmatched Beloit Buccaneers. The men’s soccer team continued their UAA excellence with a strong win against Emory, while the women edged the Eagles to extend their winning streak to seven games.

In Grey City

Editors Alex Dalton and Avi Waldman write in:

Accessibility on campus remains a pressing issue — check out our coverage on it as Grey City spoke to students with disabilities about their difficulties in trying to secure accommodations from the University.

Subscribe at chicagomaroon.com/newsletter. Feedback via e-mail.