NEWSLETTER

/  

October 14, 2019

Law School Honors Black Graduate; Booth Alum Argues for Financial Disclosure | Newsletter for October 14

Subscribe to the Maroon Newsletter.

Good morning. It’s third week — don’t forget that add/drop closes this Friday. 🌝

A plaque was unveiled on campus last Wednesday honoring the life and career of Nelson Willis (LL.B, 1918), the first Black graduate of the Law School. 

• Willis’ plaque faces another one commemorating Earl B. Dickerson (J.D., 1920) — who was previously recognized as the Law School’s first Black graduate until a current law  student’s research recently proved otherwise.

Contentious election results: Fifth Ward Alderman Leslie Hairston faces a court order appealing the results of this past April’s aldermanic runoff election. The appeal was filed by the attorney of activist William Calloway, who ran against Hairston. 

• Hairston has been the incumbent for the Fifth Ward’s seat since 1999, after winning against Barbara Holt. 
  • Calloway lost to Hairston by a slim margin of 176 votes, according to the Chicago Board of Elections. He has previously challenged the election results; in May, he attempted to secure a temporary restraining order against Hairston to prevent her from starting another term. The restraining order was rejected.

In Arts

Editor Perri Wilson writes in:

image

University Theater

UChicago students suggest aliens, lotion, and love triangles as answers to the Universe’s most perplexing questions during this fall's 24-hour theater festival.

Rossini’s hysterical and lively score gave the season a needed comical beginning before it takes a darker turn this winter.

Subscribe to our mailing list

* indicates required

In Viewpoints

Editors Zahra Nasser and Meera Santhanam write in:

Booth alum Matt Andersson argues that the University needs to fully disclose its operating costs and discretionary expenses, especially given the recent increase in undergraduate tuition.

Law school alum Ben Segal argues that while the University claims to avoid making political statements as per the Kalven Report, its investment decisions are inherently political.

President Donald Trump will make his first trip to Chicago as president on October 28th for a fundraiser, and to potentially speak to a national convention of police chiefs, the Chicago Sun-Times reports. The event venue is still being decided; Wrigley Field has been ruled out as a potential location.

• The president has frequently criticized Chicago’s handling of crime, and has also clashed with city officials over the administration’s immigration policies. His speech in Chicago this month is expected to touch on these topics.

Chalkboards Galore: As part of her project Do Not Erase — which was inspired by a visit to two professors here on campus — photographer and professor Jessica Wynne traveled across the US (and internationally) to highlight the relationship between mathematicians and blackboards at various universities.  

• Professor of Mathematics Amie Wilkinson: “Almost everyone in the maths department at the University of Chicago teaches at a blackboard. When we are working on a problem it is the best way, when you have more than two people for example, to show your ideas.”

• Wynne’s project will be published next year by Princeton Books.

Subscribe at chicagomaroon.com/newsletter. Feedback via e-mail.