ARTS

/  

October 14, 2019

Arting Around: Week 3

Meleko Mokgosi, Bread, Butter, and Power (detail), 2018, Oil paint on canvas.

Courtesy of Smart Museum of Art / The Chicago Maroon

Tuesday [10/15] 

Celebration of Oriental Institute at 100

Regenstein Library, Room 122A-B, 4:30pm, free 

The Oriental Institute and Special Collections Research Center are hosting a reception for the exhibition, “Discovery, Collection, Memory: The Oriental Institute at 100,” as well as a lecture about modern forgeries in cuneiform manuscript. 

When Islam Is Not A Religion

Seminary Co-Op Bookstore, 6:00pm, free 

Drop by the Co-Op for a Q&A and book signing for *When Islam Is Not a Religion: Inside America's Fight for Religious Freedom*, by Asma Uddin.  

Wednesday [10/16] 

Tragic Magic: A History of Fatal Conjuring

Logan Center for the Arts, Performance Hall, 7 p.m., free, RSVP recommended 

Magic’s celebrated “Renaissance Man,” Joshua Jay explores the dangerous history of magic with magicians, assistants, and spectators who have died during shows, delving into some of magic’s most compelling unsolved mysteries. 

Thursday [10/17] 

The “Modern Child” And The Moving Image

Cobb Hall, Room 307, 5:00pm, free 

How have the ways we understand children shaped moving-image aesthetics, theory, and culture? Join Alice Lovejoy for a lecture straddling history, media theory, and psychology that aims to answer this very question.  

Friday [10/18] 

An Evening With Joshue Jay

Logan Center for the Arts, Theater East, 7:30 p.m., $5 for students and staff, $10 for general admission

It’s a magic show! Join master magician Jay for a night of sleight-of-hand and mind-reading and an original performance employing little more than a deck of cards and items borrowed from the audience. There will be an additional performance on Friday, October 18 at 7:30 p.m. 

UChicago Presents: Julian Lage and Fred Hersch

Logan Center for the Arts, Performance Hall, 7:30 p.m., $30 with UCID

Lage and Hersch, a young virtuoso and living jazz legend, respectively, will bring their improvisational duet featuring both jazz standards and original selections to the Logan Center.  

Saturday [10/19] 

Opening Day: Bread, Butter, and Power

Smart Museum of Art, 2:00pm, free

To celebrate the opening of this exhibition of works by Meleko Mokgosi, the Smart is hosting an intimate artist talk as well as a panel exploring the social reach of writing in realms such as environmental crisis and indigenous struggle, testing conventional definitions of citizenship.

Humanities Day

Various on campus locations, 11:00am-4:30pm, free, registration required 

This annual October tradition hosts a variety of tours, performances, discussions, and lectures from the award-winning faculty of the Division of the Humanities all around campus. Register at humanitiesday.uchicago.edu

The Empress: Margaret Theresa

International House, Assembly Hall, 2 p.m. (pre-concert chat at 1:30 p.m.), $10 for students with UCID

With an October 18 performance at the Newberry Library and an October 20 concert at Northwestern University, the Newberry Consort’s season opener is composed in honor of Empress Margarita Teresa of Spain (1651–73).