Williamson Visits Campus; Panhel Suspends Sigma Chi Events; Fundraiser started for Charles Thomas | Newsletter for October 17

In this week’s newsletter: Democratic presidential candidate Marianne Williamson spoke on the University of Chicago Public Policy Podcast show last Friday.

Subscribe to the Maroon Newsletter.

Good morning. It’s third week — and the day before add/drop officially closes (at 5 p.m.)! ⏱

“Sociopathically Soulless” Public Policy: Democratic presidential candidate Marianne Williamson visited campus last Friday to speak on the student-run University of Chicago Public Policy Podcast show. Williamson touched on multiple topics before and during the show — ranging from her campaign to trickle-down economics, public school funding, and slavery reparations.

• Marianne Williamson: “I am running because American public policy has become sociopathically soulless. [Fixing that] is going to take an intervention from the people.”
  • She participated in the first two 2020 Democratic Party debates, but did not qualify for the following three (including Tuesday night’s) — despite reaching the 300,000 donor requirement — because she did not place high enough in national polls.   

All events with Sigma Chi have been suspended by the University of Chicago’s Panhellenic Council, according to internal documents — distributed to sorority members — stating that “several dangerous instances involving date-rape drugs” occurred during O-Week parties hosted by the fraternity.  

• The letter reads: “These events indicate a larger issue of the fraternity not taking safety concerns seriously. These instances have brought to light glaring inadequacies in proper alcohol, safety, and risk management trainings and policies that Sigma Chi should have in place.”

• Sigma Chi confirmed that the fraternity is conducting internal investigations in a statement sent to The Maroon. The fraternity will also no longer host any open parties.

Stuart Buie
Stuart Buie (Stuart Buie’s Facebook)

Stuart Buie, a fourth-year in the College, died on Saturday at the Logan Center for the Arts. Buie was pronounced dead after being transferred to the University of Chicago Medical Center. 

• Buie’s family and college friends remember him as an avid musician with a warm, “radiant” personality. Originally from California, he participated in the University’s Neighborhood Schools Program and served as co-chaplain of the Epsilon Club, a co-educational social organization, last school year.

• Master’s student Emilia McLennan: “Stuart was perhaps the most universally beloved member of the Epsilon Club. You could find him at the house listening to his massive vinyl collection, or playing jazz standards on his piano, or curled up on the sofa watching Love Island with the house cat, Goose.”

• Editor’s note: We hope to follow up on this article with an obituary memorializing Stuart’s life and his time as a member of the University community. We ask anyone who has memories they want to share about Stuart to please contact us at editor@chicagomaroon.com.

In Grey City

Editor Alex Dalton writes in:

Ethnic studies has been offered at the University of Chicago for nearly three decades, but hasn’t yet been granted its own department. The student activists of UChicago United’s Comparative Race and Ehtnic Studies Working Group want to change that.

In Sports

Editor Brinda Rao writes in:

Women's volleyball rallies with another win. Third-year Elgamal secures weekend win as men's and women's cross ountry continues their victorious season. With a massive victory at Homecoming weekend, football triumphs in front of students, alumni and parents.

Subscribe to our mailing list

* indicates required

In Viewpoints

Editor Meera Santhanam writes in:

Columnist Brinda Rao argues that the new Business Economics specialization bolsters the Economic Department at UChicago by providing a pre-professional education for students interested in pursuing careers in industry.

The Maroon Editorial Board argues that UChicago’s cost of attendance — now the highest of any undergraduate institution in the country — is too high, especially given that the University hasn’t dedicated more academic resources to students.

Lawful and Abiding Blogging: Student-run UChicago Law Magazine began writing monthly blog-posts at the start of 2019, in a rebranding effort to broaden its content. Fourth-year Lindsey Pigott, the current editor-in-chief, added that the posts offer an alternative means for interested writers to contribute to the magazine, if they aren’t ready for a year-long commitment.  

College friends of Charles Thomas — the former UChicago student who was shot by a UCPD officer last April, and disappeared for two weeks this past September — started a fundraiser to help alleviate financial burdens on his family. The fundraiser has raised over $7,500 in just one week.

• Charles is currently being held in Cook County Jail.
  • Charles’ mother, Kathy Thomas: “I’m so thankful and appreciative, especially of all the students who have shown their care and concern and donated. It just means so much to me that students are willing to help out.”

Subscribe at chicagomaroon.com/newsletter. Feedback via e-mail.