NEWSLETTER

/  

October 21, 2019

Trader Joe's Opens; IOP Hosts John Kerry; Ronald McDonald House Reopens | Newsletter for October 21

Subscribe to the Maroon Newsletter.

Good morning. It’s fourth week. Have you visited the Trader Joe’s yet? 🍇

image

Brooke Nagler / The Chicago Maroon

Your Neighborhood Grocery Store: Trader Joe’s opened its newest location in Hyde Park at 55th and Lake Park this past weekend. Eager shoppers and community members lined up in anticipation early Friday morning. Before the doors officially opened, the first customer in line was handed a giant pair of scissors to cut the ribbons which donned the store’s entrance.

• Fourth-year Veronica Myers: “It was really eerie and kind of beautiful for those few seconds I was wandering around the aisles alone, until everyone else flooded in.”

• Be sure to check out our photo essay which captured the opening, waves of excited customers, curious community members, and some UChicago students.

Don’t shop at Trader Joe’s that often? Here’s a couple items you could be missing out on:

• Pumpkin Spice Cookie Butter

• Uncured Bacon Jam
  • Popcorn in a Pickle

• Mochi Rice Nuggets

• Spicy Dill Potato Chips

• Teeny Tiny Avocados

• Cowboy Caviar

• Sweet Pull-Apart Aloha Rolls

• Peanut Butter Filled Pretzels

• Everything But the Bagel Sesame Seasoning Blend

First-years had mixed reviews of a mandatory community service program event that occurred during Orientation Week, as some participants encountered disorganized scheduling and a lack of direction after being transported to their worksites. The event lasted approximately from 10 a.m. to 4 p.m., as students were separated into different groups which then took buses to various neighborhoods across Chicago.

• A similar program, called Engage Chicago Through Service, has been offered in previous years; however, this is the first time community service was made a requirement for incoming students.

Syria, Impeachment & Climate Change: Former United States Secretary of State John Kerry spoke at an IOP event last Friday, touching on a variety of topics. Kerry proffered analyses of the ongoing conflict in Syria, the impeachment inquiry against President Donald Trump, and climate change.  

Subscribe to our mailing list

* indicates required

Hyde Park middle school teacher Charity Freeman received an Equity Fellowship award last month from the Computer Science Teachers Association. Ten teachers make up the inaugural cohort of fellows, who will all get funding and support to develop projects that “promote equity in CS education.”

image

Sidra Newman teaching a yoga class

In Memory of Sidra Newman GoFundMe page

In memoriam: Sidra Newman, a cardio and kickboxing instructor at Ratner gym, died on September 25. Many remember her as a thoughtful and inspirational teacher whose presence was comforting both inside and outside of the class.

• Joelle Mbatchou (Ph.D. ‘19): “Despite how challenging it was, Sidra just made me feel so empowered and capable of pushing beyond the limits I had set for myself. She had such a gentle spirit, never forcing people and [was] always encouraging.”

The Saieh Fellows Family in Economics is a new permanent postdoctoral fellows program that will be offered through the Becker Friedman Institute of Economics, thanks to a recent gift by University trustee Alvaro Saieh (A.M. ‘76, Ph.D ‘80). This program is intended to help early-career economists explore research topics that interest them.

An extension to the CTA Red Line will add four new stations south of 95th Street. The extension is  part of the Red Ahead project, which aims to modernize and improve the Red Line. 

• According to the CTA, the project will revitalize affected neighborhoods by creating direct connections between community members and jobs, housing, and other economic opportunities.

Following eight months of construction, the Ronald McDonald House at Comer Children’s Hospital reopened its doors on October 12. The house serves as a supportive community center for families and patients at the hospital, but it was flooded this past February after a frozen pipe burst, causing $3.1 million in damage.

• Affected families were relocated to the Hyatt Place Hotel in Hyde Park. During opening weekend, 15 families moved back into the Ronald McDonald House.

• Program director Merdelle Gundlach: “The biggest challenge was not really seeing the families all the time, because we really did not even meet them [since] they would be at the hotel. So that was the part I missed the most.”

Subscribe at chicagomaroon.com/newsletter. Feedback via e-mail.