NEWSLETTER

/  

October 24, 2019

Food Issue Considers Campus Squirrels and Postmates; CTU Teachers Strike Continues | Newsletter for October 24

Subscribe to the Maroon Newsletter.

Good morning. It’s fourth week, which is also when we publish our annual Food Issue—enjoy! 🐿 

Sciuridae UChicago: Have you faced emboldened squirrels on campus that simply can’t wait to feast on that bagel, cookie, or apple core—even though you’re still eating it? If you answered yes, you aren’t alone. Check out our list of the weirdest things students have caught campus squirrels absentmindedly (and otherwise) foraging for, if you’re looking for some solace, or have a morbid sense of curiosity.

What do decorative squash, a jar of oyster crackers, and Cholula Hot Sauce all have in common? They’re items that have been “liberated” from campus dining halls. We asked students about their wildest escapades about their wildest escapades and bounties following a trip to one of the University’s buffet-style halls, and some of the answers may (not) surprise you.

image

Adrián Mandeville / The Chicago Maroon

All Chicago Public School (CPS) classes have been canceled since last Thursday, which was the first day teachers represented by the Chicago Teachers Union (CTU) and other employees represented by the Service Employees Union International (SEIU) Local 73, like bus drivers and custodians, went on strike.

• Salary raises are included in the strikers' demands—a 15 per cent increase over the next three years—alongside raised concerns for non-teacher employees and support staff, shrinking class sizes while increasing staff teams, and other requests in consideration of both teacher and student rights.
  • Chicago Mayor Lori Lightfoot published a letter addressed to the CTU president, Jesse Sharkey, on Monday urging strikers to return to work. Her administration has stated that it supports class and staff size changes, but is unwilling to include those as guaranteed conditions in ongoing contract negotiations.
  • Organizations throughout Hyde Park have shown their support for strikers by offering scheduled activities or themed camps to keep kids occupied during the day. Some of these services are available for free, while others require daily registration fees. Schools have remained open, providing meals to students who arrive.
  • Currently: CPS classes were cancelled for today as of Wednesday afternoon, the Chicago Tribune reports.

Subscribe to our mailing list

* indicates required

In Arts

Editor Perri Wilson writes in:

For me, the criterion of utmost importance when ranking a juice is the ratio of vegetables to fruit.”

One of our editors, an international student, surveys the dada-esque bizarreness of American food.

The Smart’s latest opening featured an artist talk, free posters, and a panel of writers discussing their roles as citizens.

We took it upon ourselves to delve into the fusion scene, asking the hard questions that keep us up at night as we scroll through the most mind-bending options on Postmates.

image

Like the moon landing, Eto'o marks the unprecedented achievement of their spaghetti with a flag.

Veronica Karlin / The Chicago Maroon

In Viewpoints

Editor Zahra Nasser writes in:

Columnist Soham Mall encourages students to read the fine print on their food labels as a step towards healthier living.

To make eating out on a budget a reality, The Maroon Editorial Board presents lesser-known student discounts at local restaurants. 

In Sports

Editor Brinda Rao writes in:

Lacrosse mid-fielder Ali Sheey explores the various ways UChicago athletes maintain healthy diets.

Harris School professor James Robinson spoke with The Maroon about the thesis of his new book, which was written with MIT professor Daron Acemoglu, A Narrow Corridor. Although both Robinson and Acemoglu are economists, their research adopts an interdisciplinary approach to explore what societal conditions are necessary for liberty to exist.

Subscribe at chicagomaroon.com/newsletter. Feedback via e-mail.