/  

October 7, 2019

MSI Renamed After $125 Million Donation from Kenneth C. Griffin

The Museum of Science and Industry, at 5700 S Lake Shore Dr.

Maroon Staff / The Chicago Maroon

The Museum of Science and Industry (MSI) announced last Thursday that it will be renamed after Chicago philanthropist and billionaire investor, Kenneth C. Griffin. 

The name change follows a $125 million donation, which is the largest amount made to the museum in its history. According to a statement by MSI President and CEO David Mosena, the gift will secure the MSI’s long-term financial future, allowing the museum to better serve the wider Chicago community. 

The gift will also be used to help create the Pixel Studio, a digital gallery and performance space that is currently being planned by the MSI.  

An exact date for the name change has not been specified.  

Griffin is the founder of hedge fund Citadel, and has previously donated funds to the University, prompting the Department of Economics to be renamed in 2017.  

He has been a member of the University’s Board of Trustees since 2014, and has donated to several other community organizations and businesses.   

Here’s a list of other names made in recognition of prior gifts Griffin has made: 

• The Kenneth C. Griffin Department of Economics (University of Chicago Department of Economics

• Griffin Early Childhood Center (University of Chicago and Harvard University partnership

• Kenneth and Anne Griffin Court (Art Institute of Chicago wing

• The Griffin Halls of Evolving Planet (Field Museum of Chicago exhibition

• Griffin Galleries of Contemporary Art (Museum of Contemporary Art Chicago

• Griffin Financial Aid Office (Harvard College Office of Financial Aid Office) and Griffin Director of Financial Aid (the head of aforementioned office

• Griffin Professorship of Business Administration (Harvard Business School

• Kenneth C. Griffin Building (New York Museum of Modern Art, east wing

RELATED COVERAGE

Citadel CEO Donates $125 Million, Econ Department Renamed

By Annabelle Rice

“I am proud to support the extraordinary work of the Economics Department and a university so fundamentally committed to free expression, fierce debate, and intellectual pursuit.”

/  

November 2, 2017

Kenneth C. Griffin Donates $10 Million to Predictive Crime Analytics Efforts in Chicago

Spencer Dembner