NEWSLETTER

/  

November 18, 2019

UCMC Nurses Authorize Strike; SASA Holds Fundraiser for Kashmiris | Newsletter for November 18

Subscribe to the Maroon Newsletter.

Good morning. It’s eighth week. Don’t forget: pre-registration for classes opens today! 👩‍💻 

Strike, Round Two: At an election held Wednesday, nurses at the University of Chicago Medical Center voted to authorize a one-day strike—for the second time in two months. According to the National Nurses Union, the vote passed with a 92 percent approval among the nurses who voted.

• A one-day strike was previously held in September, to protest unsafe working conditions that were claimed to be the result of understaffing and administrative unresponsiveness to worker complaints.

• Nurses say this strike will take place on Tuesday, November 26.

Fair Pay to Play: The National Collegiate Athletics Association announced last Monday that athletes can “benefit from the use of their name, image, and likeness in a manner consistent with the collegiate model.” The ruling follows similar legislation that passed in California allowing athletes to hire agents without the risk of revoking scholarships. 

• Maroons are skeptical that the change will have much effect at UChicago.

• Second-year Sahil Modi: “Our jerseys, our practice shirts, our socks, even our cleats, are all from Adidas. Maybe someone will try to sponsor a whole team or something, but I don’t think anyone will get their own deal.”

In Arts

Editor Jad Dahshan writes in:

In the Renaissance Society’s latest exhibition, Lotoya Ruby Frazier demonstrates the unnoticed repercussions of top-down economic moves.

The Lyric Opera delivers another stunning performance, showing off its talented cast.

Instead, immorality can always be traced back to the individual—to the tangible and unromantic human flaws present at the heart of every negligent government.”

Subscribe to our mailing list

* indicates required

Mehndi Night: The South Asian Students Association (SASA) recently held a fundraiser for Kashmiris. Check out our video interview of SASA members explaining what there is to know about the ongoing humanitarian crisis in Kashmir and what students can do about it. 🎥

image

UChicago Graduate Students United Co-President for Bargaining, Claudio Gonzales, addressed representatives of several Chicago-area graduate student unions.

Alexis Florence / The Chicago Maroon

Students from universities throughout Illinois marched at Dirksen Federal Building last Thursday to protest the National Labor Relations Board’s (NLRB) proposal to exclude graduate student teachers and teaching assistants from federal labor protections. 

• The protest included students from UChicago’s Graduate Student Union (GSU), Northwestern Grad Workers, University of Illinois at Chicago Graduate Employee Organization, and Loyola University Chicago Worker Coalition.

• In late September the NLRB published a notice of proposed policy changes, that “would exempt from the NLRB’s jurisdiction undergraduate and graduate students who perform services for financial compensation in connection with their studies.” A month later an extension was granted, allowing public comments to be submitted until December 16 in advance of the proposed rule.

• The podcast version of this story, by Austin Christhilf, is available on iTunes and Spotify.

In Sports

Editor Brinda Rao writes in:

A 3-1 loss to Ohio Wesleyan ends Men’s Soccer’s season. They end the season with a 12-2-5 record and their fourth UAA title.

Cross Country competes at the NCAA Division III Midwest Regional Championships—with personal victories as four members of the men’s team and the entire women’s team gained All-Region honors.

Football ends their season with a win against Lake Forest College. They end their season with a 6-3 record.