Free Speech Prof to Stop Saying Racial Epithet in Class | Newsletter for March 12

Also: the new trauma center is reducing the racial gap in access to trauma care; Study Hotel will break ground this spring; Jewel-Osco has opened in Woodlawn.
Black Law Students Association
The conversation drew almost 200 students and faculty members.

Subscribe to the Maroon Newsletter.

Good morning. It’s 10th week.

Law School professor Geoffrey Stone had been saying a racial epithet to teach a legal doctrine in class for over 40 years. Last week, he decided to stop.

• His decision followed an emotional conversation with members of the Black Law Students Association in the Law School main lounge that drew almost 200 observers.
  • Stone told The Maroon the conversation “gave me a very different understanding that these arguments are not just political correctness, that there’s really something powerful there.”

UC Med’s new trauma center is reducing the racial gap in access to trauma care, according to a University of Chicago Medicine study published Friday in the Journal of the American Medical Association Network Open.

• Black residents in urban areas disproportionately live in trauma deserts, or areas with limited access to advanced emergency medical care, the study found. The new Level 1 trauma center at UChicago Medicine has substantially reduced that disparity in Chicago, according to researchers.
  • The study also includes new findings on the racial access gap to trauma care in American cities. “Although previous studies have primarily examined associations between geographic access and mortality outcomes, few have specifically evaluated racial/ethnic differences in geographic access,” the authors note.

Subscribe to our mailing list

* indicates required

Study Hotel will break ground this spring.

• Since it was first announced, the hotel design has seen several changes, most notably a reduction in size from 15 stories and 180 guest rooms to 12 floors and 167 rooms.
  • At 60th Street and Kimbark Avenue, the building will sit steps away from the forthcoming Rubenstein Forum and proposed Obama Presidential Center.

Food news–

Jewel-Osco has opened in Woodlawn.

• The new 48,000 square-foot location opened Thursday on the corner of East 61st Street and South Cottage Grove Avenue.
  • Outgoing Mayor Rahm Emanuel cut the ribbon. He said that food deserts continue to be a pressing issue for many Chicago neighborhoods, and noted, “It is unacceptable that some families drive over a mile to get fresh produce for their kids.”

The Soul Shack, a new soul food restaurant at 53rd Street and Kenwood Avenue, opened Sunday.

• As the newest undertaking of the owners of Mikkey’s Retro Grill and LiteHouse Grill, the restaurant offers Southern classics ranging from jerk chicken to fried green tomatoes and lemon pepper fried okra.
  • This is the second soul food restaurant to open on 53rd street in recent months, after Virtue came to South Harper Avenue late last year.

In Viewpoints

Editor Cole Martin writes in:

Students Organizing United with Labor argues that the problems facing graduate student workers affect UChicago’s undergraduate population as well.

In Arts

Editor Perri Wilson writes in:

As the opening act for You Me at Six, machineheart soared with soulful vibes and boundless energy performing their debut album, “People Change.”

Fatimah Asghar and Parul Sehgal investigate South Asian immigrant stories that fall outside the traditional narratives of immigration.

Don Gil brings over-the-top gestures and actor-audience interaction to a 17th-century comedy

In Sports

Editor Audrey Mason writes in:

Baseball begins its season with a win against Transylvania.

Women’s basketball ends its season with a loss to Oglethorpe.

Diving qualifies all four women for the NCAA Championships.

Lacrosse continues its winning streak against Calvin.

In Podcast

Editor Austin Christhilf writes in:

This week on the quad: Addison Jeske and Rosalie Stone talk about Calvert House and how Catholicism fits into their UChicago experience.

Crossword

Play The Maroon’s crossword online on our new site.

• Prepare for finals with last week's crossword and flex your cortex…or should we say Core texts? Our latest crossword, “Polar Vortex,” is online now.

Subscribe at chicagomaroon.com/newsletter. Feedback via e-mail.