Track and Field Awaits NCAA Qualifiers

As the indoor track and field season approaches an end, the Maroons impressed at the Carthage Final Qualifier Meet with many individuals placing. The team now waits to see who officially qualified for the NCAA Division III National Championships.

The men’s and women’s track and field teams excelled this past weekend at two highly competitive meets. Members of the team competed at either the Carthage Final Qualifier Meet on Friday or the Wartburg Qualifier Meet on Saturday to try and make qualifying times for the NCAA National Meet. Runners, throwers and jumpers showcased their hard work from this past season, with many placing and achieving personal records.

At the Carthage meet, the Maroons showcased their best. Three pole vaulters on the women’s team placed: second-year Sidney Lampert placed fourth; first-year Rachel TerHaar placed sixth; and third-year Tesa Pribitkin placed eighth. This strong display from the women’s team was complemented by first-year Isabel Maletich’s winin the triple jump with an impressive 11.82-meter jump. The men’s team also performed excellently, with three members placing. Second-year Nike Reid placed first in the 55-meter race with a 6.52 second run. Off the track, first-year John McCormick placed eighth in the triple jump and third-year Alexander Scott placed first in the shot put. Reflecting on the meet, Sidney Lampert explained, “The main focus for me was just to try and PR and qualify for nationals. It was good since the competition wasn’t really a concern since everyone is just competing with their personal bests in order to try to continue on.” 

However, the Maroons were not done for the weekend. On Saturday, in Kenosha, Wisconsin, a slew of runners and jumpers dominated at the Wartburg Meet. The women’s team had an exceptional performance, with seven runners and a relay placing. Third-years Robin Peter and Mary Martin placed eighth in the 60-meter hurdles race and second in the 200-meter run, respectively. This was highlighted by powerful displays frommid-distance runners: fourth-year Tali Naibryf placed seventh in the 400-meter run while fourth-year Nicole VacaGuzman and first-year Kaitlyn Van Baalen placed second and fifth in the 800-meter run, respectively. Distance followed this strong example withstrong races from second-year Sophie Elgamal placing second in the 3,000-meter run and third-year Claire Brockway placing second in the 5,000-meter run. The distance medley relay (second-year Emma Dyer, Naibryf, Van Baalen and Elgamal) placed fourth with a collective time of 11:58.92. The men’s team excelled in mid-distance and distance events. In the 3,000-meter run, second-year Chase Gardner placed fourth and first-year Henry Myers placed fifth. The men’s 4×400 relay (first-year Dillon O’Loughlin, third-year Elliott Paintsil, fourth-year Ben Chaimberg, and third-year Tyson Miller) placed fifth with a collective time of 3:20.10. The combination of superb races, jumps and throws asserted that UChicago’s men’s and women’s track teams would be ending their season with a bang.

With numerous members placing, the Maroons are waiting to hear from NCAA to see who qualified for the national meet.The NCAA National Meet is the last meet of the winter season. Following it, the men and women’s track teams will prepare for spring track and the start of their outdoor season. Lampert shared, “I’m really excited about my upcoming outdoor season! I performed really well for myself and I’m excited to get out there and be able to jump high.” 

The qualifying members of themen’s and women’s track teams will compete at the NCAA Division III Indoor National Championship Meet on March 8–9 in Boston, Massachusetts.