UCPD Removes Protesters From Law School; Booth to Relocate London Campus | Newsletter for April 11

Pro-Palestinian protesters interrupted a talk at the Law School and were escorted out by UCPD.
The protestors standing outside the talk

Subscribe to the Maroon Newsletter.

Good morning. It’s second week.

The Law School hosted two events about free speech on Tuesday:

• New York Law School professor Nadine Strossen, the former president of the ACLU, spoke with law professor Geoffrey Stone—recently at the center of his own free speech controversy—and argued against censoring hate speech.
  • Next door, pro-Palestinian protesters interrupted a talk by visiting professor Eugene Kontorovich, who was speaking about anti–Boycott, Divestment, and Sanctions laws and their application under the First Amendment.
  • The protesters were eventually escorted out by University police officers. In an e-mail to law students, Law School Dean of Students Charles Todd justified the students’ removal from the room: “This chanting did violate the University’s policies,” he wrote. “It is the right of any speaker invited to our campus to be heard and for all who choose to be present to hear the speaker.”

#CareNotCops Rally: Around 40 activists from the University and greater South Side gathered in front of Levi Hall on Wednesday to demand that the University release its budget and allocate less money to the University of Chicago Police Department (UCPD).

Subscribe to our mailing list

* indicates required

The popular Core class Global Warming: Understanding the Forecast has adopted a “flipped” class format this quarter, meaning that students will receive primary instruction through online videos. Rather than traditional lecture-style classes with a faculty member, the format relies on graduate students for in-person teaching.

• “Flipped classes are the way of the future,” Global Warming professor Dorian Abbot told The Maroon.
  • Geophysical Sciences Ph.D. candidate Grant MacDonald, one of the graduate students teaching the course, raised concerns about the role of graduate student work at the University. “The fact that the University admin argues that the teaching we do is not ‘work’…is absurd and galling,” he told The Maroon.

Booth School of Business will relocate its London campus to a larger facility by spring quarter of next year.

• The move follows the University’s recent expansions in Hong Kong and Paris.

Can’t Believe It’s Not Meat, a vegan café, opened Sunday on 53rd Street.

• The vegan spot is the latest establishment from local restauranteur Rico Nance, whose Southern food restaurant, the Soul Shack, opened just last month.
  • The menu includes vegan renditions of American classics, including pasta, burgers, nachos, and hot dogs.

A new Health and Society minor will be offered beginning next fall.

• The minor committee, led by faculty in the Department of Comparative Human Development, aims to explore the factors shaping individuals’ and populations’ health.

The Willy Wonka of comic shops? A law school alum is giving away his comic book store to one lucky winner of an essay contest.

• Carmelo Chimera (J.D. ’13) opened the first branch of Chimera’s Comics in 2011, while he was a first-year student at the Law School.
  • Now, he’s giving away the Oak Lawn branch the store to the winner of an essay contest. Contestants submitted 500-word essays describing what makes a great comic book store.

Kevin McAleenan (J.D. ’98) will serve as acting secretary of the Department of Homeland Security, following Kirstjen Nielsen’s resignation.

• The Trump appointee previously headed U.S. Customs and Border Protection.

Sports

Editor Brinda Rao writes in:

Track and Field starts spring quarter off with the Wheaton Invitational. The good weather heralded a slew of individual wins for both the men and women’s teams.

Softball took on Kalamazoo for a doubleheader, winning the first game and losing the second.

Lacrosse kicked off their conference season by dominating North Central and St. Mary’s College in back-to-back games.

Men’s Tennis took on Illinois Tech with an impressive 9–0 victory, adding to their stellar 12–1 season record. 

Arts

Editor Zoe Bean writes in:

Fulfilling the final promise of the Reparations Ordinance, artists display designs for a public memorial at the Arts Incubator.

While Andrew Bird’s repertoire borrows from a number of genres, the compelling combination of bleakness and yearning hope that permeates My Finest Work Yet is entirely his own creation.

Viewpoints

Editor Zahra Nasser writes in:

Columnist Alex Bisnath advises prospective UChicago students to embrace failure, change, and the unknown.

In a Letter to the Editor, UChicago United and Students Working Against Prisons promote the #CareNotCops movement and demand increased UCPD transparency.

Grey City

Editor Caroline Kubzansky writes in:

What’s it like to take a leave of absence? Grey City found that there were no two identical experiences after talking to a range of students and alumni.

Podcast

Editor Austin Christhilf writes in:

This week in the news: Law school admissions leak, mayoral and aldermanic runoff elections, Class of 2023 admit rate leaked, and much more.

Subscribe at chicagomaroon.com/newsletter. Feedback via e-mail.