NEWSLETTER

/  

April 8, 2019

Fifth Ward Race Still Close; #CareNotCops Issues Demands | Newsletter for April 8

Challenger William Calloway (left) and incumbent Fifth Ward Hairston (right)

Sophia Corning / The Chicago Maroon

By Elaine Chen    and Lee Harris   

Subscribe to the Maroon Newsletter.

Good morning. It’s second week.

In a still-undecided Fifth Ward race, the choice between incumbent Leslie Hairston and first-time candidate William Calloway will come down to mail-in ballots.

• Though counted ballots currently show Hairston narrowly in the lead, final results of the race could be delayed until as late as April 16.

A year ago this past weekend, President Zimmer took questions from students at a public forum in International House. The meeting was Zimmer’s first public event with undergraduates in five years; graduate students were barred from attending.

• The talk, which came out of a long effort by Student Government to organize a public conversation between students and Zimmer, was overshadowed by the shooting of a student by University of Chicago Police Department (UCPD). The shooting occurred just three days prior.
  • More than 100 activists demonstrated outside that event, making it hard to hear Zimmer’s responses to questions. Protesters included Graduate Students United (GSU) members and students protesting the UCPD.
  • One year on, Zimmer has not given any indication that he will hold another public forum.

On the April 4 anniversary of the shooting of student Charles Thomas by the UCPD, student activist group #CareNotCops issued a letter of demands to President Zimmer.

• #CareNotCops’s demands include a breakdown of the University’s most recent annual budget, including an account of UCPD’s weapons arsenal.

Grad students beyond campus:

UIC Graduate Employees Organization, the union representing graduate students at the University of Illinois at Chicago (UIC), on Friday announced that it had reached a tentative contract agreement and would end its three-week strike.

• Under the new contract, workers would see a 14 percent wage increase over three years, according to WBEZ.

Subscribe to our mailing list

* indicates required

Play The Maroon’s crossword online on our new site.

• Our newest crossword, ‘Space is the Place,’ is full of tantalizing clues like “Veggie garden scourge,” “Matching in sogginess,” and “Smother.” Check it out!