Stay Tuned on GSU Strike Vote; Northwestern Joins Quantum Exchange | Newsletter for May 20

Some graduate student instructors have already warned undergraduates that classes may be cancelled 9th and 10th week.

Subscribe to the Maroon Newsletter.

Good morning. It’s eighth week.

Graduate Students United (GSU) may announce today whether or not their strike authorization vote passed.

• “We don’t want to go out on strike, but it’s become very clear that the way that this institution is going to recognize us is by us making them recognize how integral we are to making this place run,” GSU co-president Claudio Gonzáles told The Maroon last week as GSU members voted.
  • Some grad student instructors have already warned their undergraduates that classes may be cancelled 9th and 10th week.
  • Stay tuned. If members vote to strike, union members will then turn to collectively figuring what a work stoppage would involve – when it would happen, what kinds of labor would be slowed down or stopped altogether, and which faculty members and other community members can be counted on to strike in solidarity.

New look at a grisly murder: Nina Barrett discussed her new book, The Leopold and Loeb Files: An Intimate Look at One of America’s Most Infamous Crimes, at the Sem Co-op on Thursday.

• Nathan Leopold and Richard Loeb were UChicago students who in 1924 kidnapped and murdered 14-year-old Bobby Franks.
  • The book is a collection of original documents about the case. “When you encounter the original documents,” Barrett said, “what you find is that this story really doesn’t need any embellishing at all.”

Three UChicago third-years were awarded the Barry Goldwater scholarship, which awards high-achieving students in the natural sciences, mathematics, and engineering.

Northwestern University has joined the Chicago Quantum Exchange.

Subscribe to our mailing list

* indicates required

I.M. Pei, the world-renowned architect who passed away late last week, is commemorated in a Chicago Tribune column for his contributions to Hyde Park.

• Pei built the University Park Apartments on East 55th Street, a project he nicknamed “Monoxide Alley,” because residents of the apartments were unintentionally subjected to pollution from passing cars.
  • Pei, with Chicago architect Harry Weese, also “wove two- and three-story townhouses into Hyde Park’s urban fabric…[laying] the groundwork for area’s ongoing revival,” the columnist writes.

Ariel Portat, a visiting professor at UChicago Law School since 2003, was on Sunday named the new president of Tel Aviv University.

Jeanne Gang, the architect behind Campus North dormitory, was named one of the world’s 100 most influential people by Time magazine last month.

• Gang also designed the Solstice on the Park apartment complex in Hyde Park, and is the only architect on this year’s list.
  • The Maroon interviewed Gang in 2014, before Campus North was completed.

In Sports

Editor Brinda Rao writes in:

Editor Brinda Rao explores how UChicago creates the circumstances that encourage students to try walking on teams.

In Viewpoints

Editor Zahra Nasser writes in:

Columnist Brinda Rao sees decreased participation in events like Scav as an indication that the College is losing its peculiarity.

In Podcast

Editor Austin Christhilf writes in:

What happens when fascism wins? Professor Miguel Cada and second-year Maya Osman-Krinsky talk to The Maroon about their exhibit on poetry from the Spanish Civil War.

Subscribe at chicagomaroon.com/newsletter. Feedback via e-mail.