College Raises Metcalf Intern Stipend; New Italian Bistro Opens | Newsletter for August 12

The College will increase the stipend for Metcalf interns; New Italian Bistro opens in Hyde Park; student wellness center breaks ground.
Wight & Company
A rendering of the courtyard in UChicago’s new student wellness center.

Subscribe to the Maroon Newsletter.

Good morning. It’s August ☀️

Stipend hike for Metcalfs: The College plans to raise the $4,000 base stipend for the Jeff Metcalf internship program to $5,000.

• John Boyer, Dean of the College, mentioned the change in a Thursday interview about UChicago’s Empower Initiative on WTTW News.
  • Beginning summer 2020, the minimum stipend for a full-time Metcalf internship will increase to $5,000 for Odyssey Scholars, spokesperson Jeremy Manier said.
  • Meanwhile, Manier said, the College “is in the process of moving to the target of $5,000 as the base stipend for internships that are funded by the College.”

Ascione Bistro, a new restaurant offering Italian classics, has opened in Hyde Park Shopping Center at 1500 East 55th Street, Hyde Park Herald reported.

Subscribe to our mailing list

* indicates required

Student Wellness breaks ground: Contractor Wight & Company has broken ground on the new Student Wellness Center at 59th Street and Maryland Avenue.

• “Wight & Company will complete the first phase of the project by spring 2020,” commercial real estate journal RE reported. The center is scheduled to open for students in autumn 2020, according to the University.
A street view rendering of UChicago's new student wellness center.
A street view rendering of UChicago’s new student wellness center. (Wight & Company)

For a third year, the University will offer Vue53, a commercial apartment complex near campus, as a student housing option.

• Third- and fourth-year students will again receive $1,500 as an incentive to make the move to Vue53, which is approximately one mile from campus’s main quad.
  • In recent years, the University has deliberately increased enrollment—and underestimated high yield rates—while building mega-dorms in rapid succession. But its turn to commercial housing is part of a wider trend. In the last few decades, dozens of colleges have relied on nearby hotels for overflow housing, The Chronicle of Higher Education reported last week.

The Obama Presidential Center will have an “adverse effect” on historic properties within Jackson Park and on the Midway Plaisance, a report by Chicago’s Department of Planning and Development found.

• At a news conference on July 30, Chicago Mayor Lori Lightfoot said the report’s results were not surprising but added, “It is a big honor and opportunity for us to have this presidential center coming to Chicago.”

Vivian Gussin Paley (Ph.B. ’47), a MacArthur Genius grantee, author of 13 books about childhood development, and teacher at the University of Chicago Lab Schools for a quarter of a decade, died in late July. She was 90.

• John Hornstein, a child development specialist at Tufts University, told The New York Times that Paley wasn’t a “mainstream” teacher. “She is known in the field for her use of storytelling, but the method she developed is far more than that. It is a way in which young children join a complex and diverse social world,” Hornstein said.
Vivian G. Paley (2nd right), pre-school and kindergarten teacher and early childhood education researcher in the University of Chicago Laboratory Schools. She is pictured with students.
Vivian G. Paley (2nd right), pre-school and kindergarten teacher and early childhood education researcher in the University of Chicago Laboratory Schools. She is pictured with students. (Special Collections Research Center)

Subscribe at chicagomaroon.com/newsletter. Feedback via e-mail.