NEWSLETTER

/  

September 29, 2019

What to Know to Start the Year: Who's Who, College in the Age of Trump, and More | Newsletter for September 30

By Elaine Chen   , Lee Harris   , and Deepti Sailappan   

Subscribe to the Maroon Newsletter.

Good morning. It's the first week of school 🍂

The start of the quarter means… we’re looking for more people to join The Maroon 🗞

• We have one more info session: Wednesday, 10/2, 6-7 p.m. in Harper 140
  • Stop by if you’re interested in writing/editing, business, design, and data. Learn more here.

If you haven’t had a chance to pick up our Orientation Week issue, check it out online here. It’s got everything you need to know about…

How the University functions and who you need to know:

• You’ve heard of Zimmer, but have you heard of Schmid, the one overseeing UChicago’s $8 billion endowment? These are administrators to note.
  • You’ll come across iconic, beloved and infamous professors in your time here. Here are just a few.
  • First-year class rep. elections are coming up. Before you vote, get to know how student government works.
  • An understanding of the University wouldn’t be complete without understanding how the Trump administration has impacted higher education, from Title IX policies to graduate student unionization.

How the University overlaps with local and national politics:

• The Obama Center continues to generate controversy that the University, as a neighboring developer, is inevitably caught up in.
  • Spanning three wards and having an alumna as mayor, the University has many ties to Chicago city officials.
  • More than 50 current and recently graduated students worked on 2020 Democractic primary campaigns. Which campaigns saw the most students on board?

How to navigate college life here:

• $1 can go a long way on campus, and so can being a lab guinea pig. Here are some tips on saving money.
  • If you ever need a helping hand—whether that’s academically, emotionally, or in any other way—there are resources on campus.
  • On and around campus, there are also multiple avenues of practicing religion.
  • Greek life is growing increasingly faster. Here are UChicago’s fraternities and sororities—which range from Panhellenic, cultural, professional to service-oriented.
  • Looking for creative outlets? UChicago has a range of opportunities to get involved in visual arts, music, dance, and theater. And off campus, Chicago has a booming arts scene.

Subscribe to our mailing list

* indicates required

What students want to tell first-years:

• Graduate Students United, the union of graduate students demanding recognition from the University, explains who they are and why they are organizing.
  • Third-year Adrian Mandeville argues for the CIA to end recruitment on campus.
  • Second-year Sylvia Ebenbach explains why she took a gap year and gives advice on how to adjust to college after a gap year.
  • Third-year Brinda Rao reflects on the unpredictable, at times anxiety-inducing, but also refreshing quarter system.
  • Second-year Areeha Khalid believes that add-drop is a beneficial way of registering for classes.
  • Second-year Susy Liu advises to remain open-minded when navigating UChicago’s social scene.
  • Fourth-year Eli Winter writes a reminder to foster honesty and kindness in relationships, amid the often anxiety-inducing environment at UChicago.
  • “Dear incoming freshmen,” second-year Ruby Rorty has to say, “it will be okay.”

Now that school is back in session, we are back to sending out newsletters twice a week, on Mondays and Thursdays.

Subscribe at chicagomaroon.com/newsletter. Feedback via e-mail.

Correction on Oct. 4, 2019, 9:06 a.m. CDT:

The newsletter has been updated to show the current endowment number.