NEWSLETTER

/  

January 14, 2020

Students Rally for Bernie; NLRB Proposed Rule Prompts Avid Commentary | Newsletter for January 14

Subscribe to the Maroon Newsletter.

Good morning. It’s second week—will you be doing Kuvia this year? 🧘

An estimated 50 people attended a rally on the Midway for Democratic Presidential candidate Bernie Sanders last Thursday.  The event starts the beginning of a full month of organizing by the student group UChicago for Bernie, leading up to the Iowa Caucus on February 3rd.

• "Understand the importance of this movement," congressional candidate Anthony Clark said to a crowd of student Bernie supporters.
  • Bernie's views on healthcare and income disparities are at the forefront of student's policy directives.
image

Maria Bell and James Skretta speak at a rally in support of presidential candidate Bernie Sanders.

Jeremy Lindenfeld / The Chicago Maroon

The NLRB received over 12,000 comments regarding a proposed rule that, if passed, would define undergraduate and graduate student workers as non-employees.

• Under the proposed rule, Graduate Student United (GSU) members will face shunted workers rights, which has spurred student-organized protests both on and off campus.
  • Both GSU and CARE Executive Slate have encouraged community members to submit comments to the NLRB before the Wednesday deadline.

UChicago researchers collaborated to create an app to search for potential conflicts of interest at public universities.

• Conflicts of interest could threaten the integrity of the academic process and promote widespread adoption of specific medical treatments for monetary gain.
  • The app, "Dollars for Profs," compiles academic researchers' financial disclosures of potential conflicts of interest.

'Midwest Nice': A question submitted by Shining Li, a student enrolled in a joint program between the Booth School of Business and the School of Social Service Administration, inspired an episode of WBEZ91.5's Curious City to explore Midwestern culture. Journalists, psychologists, and historians were among those consulted in the episode to measure up exactly how nice 'midwestern nice' can be.

According to a news release brief, 22 professors will fill named chairs or become distinguished service professors. Of those 22 positions, two were created just this year.

Subscribe to our mailing list

* indicates required

In Sports

The Track and Field team showed a commanding performance at their first home meet of the season, both men and women's teams taking first.

• Fourth-year Alex Scott broek the school record in the shot put and now leads the country in the event with a throw of 17.53 meters.

image

Students brave the cold and perform their final sun salutations as a new day dawns.

Yao Xen Tan / The Chicago Maroon

Yesterday marked the first day of Kuviasungnerk/Kangeiko (i.e. Kuvia), which is annually organized by the Council of Undergraduate Programming (COUP). Over one hundred students gathered in Henry Crown Field House to do sun salutations yesterday morning, before joining in workshops led by various RSOs. The week-long event is a longstanding Winter Quarter tradition taht many consider to be unique to UChicago.

• COUP Marketing Chair Erica Connell: "I joined COUP because I really wanted to be a part of a club at UChicago that kind of focuses on the community, making people smile, and getting [them] away from their schoolwork for a bit—and I thought COUP did that very well. Kuvia being one of COUP's main events, is a really fun one for us to run."
  • If you're wondering what a sun salutation looks like, be sure to check out our photo essays from 2018 or 2017 to find out.

Subscribe at chicagomaroon.com/newsletter. Feedback via e-mail.