What We’re Thankful For

A brief and incomplete list of things UChicago students can be thankful for this Thanksgiving.

Per Thanksgiving tradition, The Maroon Editorial Board shares with you a few of the things it’s most thankful for this year….

Target: It’s finally here in Hyde Park and, even more surprisingly, was able to secure a liquor license, albeit with some provisions. You can only turn up from noon to 10 p.m. Monday through Friday, 10 a.m. to 11 p.m. on Saturdays, and 10 a.m. to 10 p.m. on Sundays.

Revolutionary Communist Party (RevCom) member Noche Diaz, who heroically stood on a table in Baker Dining Commons and overthrew the entire system. Thanks, RevCom! 

North Campus, really just because it brought us Insomnia Cookies.

The Cubs’ World Series win, 108 years in the making. To put that in perspective, the University had a real football team 108 years ago.

The thrill of attempting to bid for classes with the new my.UChicago—and the subsequent sting of defeat.

Graduation changes: Starting with the Class of 2017, convocation will have eight concurrent ceremonies divided by first year house. Can’t wait to graduate next to awkward O-Mances and that one dude who loved anime a little too much.

Receiving financial aid during fifth week. Better late than never?

Eminence: Now attending a university ranked #3 in the country, students on campus hopefully feel secure enough to retire their “If I wanted an A, I would’ve gone to Harvard” T-shirts.

Student tour guides finally getting their paychecks from the admissions office after serious delays. How else are we going to keep that ranking?

College Republicans’ brave refusal to endorse Trump, which we suspect led to his defeat in Illinois and overall popular vote loss.

Cemitas Puebla, because anything’s better than Packed.

The student-organized giant leaf pile jump on the Classics quad last week. It’s the little things, sometimes.

​Peaceful transitions of power: After five failed health inspections in one year, Aramark is finally out as UChicago’s dining provider and has been replaced by Bon Appétit. Unfortunately, we no longer can sneak into Bartlett so it’s unclear if the food got any better.

Fourth meal: a perennial safe space on campus we can all support.

Max Freedman being “bedeviled.”

Axelrod’s style. Though he wasn’t featured in the UChicago Manual of Style, his sneakers are pretty neat.

Our Copy team's Twitter account@MaroonCopyDesk. Seriously, check it out. #Shameless

—The Maroon Editorial Board