NEWSLETTER

/  

February 10, 2020

City Relases OPC Ordinance; Maroon Elects New Leaders | Newsletter for February 11

Subscribe to the Maroon Newsletter.

Good morning. Welcome to 6th week. Don’t forget: pre-reg is next week and classes are up now! 🎓

The Chicago Department of Housing released the Woodlawn Affordable Housing Preservation Ordinance, with the goal of combating gentrification around the planned Obama Presidential Center.

• The proposal was controversial for overlooking a CBA, introduced last July, that was endorsed by 29 aldermen.
  • The proposal included a number of initiatives, including allowing tenants to refuse their landlord’s property sales.
  • However, a proposition for ‘pilot zones’ was rejected.

The Center for the Study of Race, Politics, and Culture (CSRPC) received a $4 million grant from the Andrew W. Mellon Foundation.

• The money will help support new classes in the Comparative Race and Ethnic Studies (CRES) program.
  • The move comes as activist groups like UChicago United push for the creation of a department that consolidates CRES’ offerings.
  • The campaign for a CRES department received an endorsement Monday from Illinois State Representative Theresa Mah (Ph.D. ’99). In an open letter to President Zimmer, Mah wrote that the proposed department would “fill a critical academic gap in UChicago’s academic offerings.”

The Maroon elected a new executive slate in elections held on Sunday. New leadership will consist of:

• Incoming co-Editors-in-Chief Emma Dyer and Miles Burton, replacing current Editor-in-Chief Lee Harris and Deputy Editor-in-Chief Elaine Chen.
  • Incoming Managing Editor Caroline Kubzansky, replacing current Managing Editor Deepti Sailappan.
  • Incoming Chief Financial Officer Gianni LaVecchia, replacing current Chief Financial Officer Michael Vetter.
  • Incoming Chief Production Officer Jessica Xia, replacing current Chief Production Officer Peng-Peng Liu.
  • The slate will join our masthead as editors-elect. They take office week one of spring quarter.

Subscribe to our mailing list

* indicates required

In Sports

Editor Brinda Rao writes in:

Isabel Maletich (Track and Field) and Cole Schmidt (Men's Basketball) are named UAA athletes of the Week.

Men's Basketball bests Rochester with a 68-48 win.

UChicago will be hosting the UAA Championship Swim and Dive meet from February 12-16th-- come out to the Myers-McLoraine Pool to cheer on the Maroons!

In Arts

Editor Perri Wilson writes in:

From theatre, to Oscar screenings, to exhibition openings, art was alive in week 5.

Ever in the Glades proved a worthy start to the theater season with its themes of intergenerational conflict and the sheer artistry at play in direction, performance, and design,

In Podcast

Editor Austin Christhilf writes in:

In our newest podcast, Titi and Beza are Brewing Thoughts! Join them in discussing the lofty dreams and crushing realities of being a UChicago student. On each episode join other students to discuss the good, bad and ugly of student life on campus.

Subscribe at chicagomaroon.com/newsletter. Feedback via e-mail.