Arting Around, Cold Edition

Don’t sit around the Reg waiting for Godot this week. Go see it, and so much more, for yourself!
-
Doc Films

It is very cold.

Ongoing

Waiting for Godot

Logan Center, Theater West, Thursday [2/20] and Friday [2/21] at 7:30 p.m., Saturday [2/22] at 2 p.m. and 7:30 p.m., $6 in advance, $8 at door, Thursday preview free

University Theater presents one of the most famous plays of the past century. Following two men waiting for the arrival of a certain Godot, Samuel Beckett’s philosophical script reflects on religion, humanity, and suicide as the two explore the nuances of existentialism and the purpose of human life. Tickets sold on UChicago Arts. No ticket required for Thursday.

Wednesday [2/19]

Poem Present: Lecture with Layli Long Soldier

Logan 801, 12 p.m. // Kent 107, 6 p.m., free

Join Layli Long Soldier, author of National Book Awards finalist Whereas (2017), in a discussion about poetry, followed by a reading later in the evening at Kent.

Thursday [2/20]

The Double Shot Series ft. Pocket Mirror

Hallowed Grounds, 7 p.m., free

Whether you want to flex your musical gifts or just sip coffee while listening to student performances, make sure to drop by Hallowed Grounds to enjoy an open mic night, closing with a performance by UChicago band Pocket Mirror. Free drinks provided.

The University of Shrek-ago: The Law School Musical

Mandel Hall, Thursday [2/20] and Friday [2/21] at 7:30 p.m., $5

I won’t go maximum ogre-drive with all the puns, I promise. Catch the Law School’s show next Thursday, even if you ain’t the sharpest tool in the shed. Tickets for Thursday and Friday can be found on the Law School website—make sure to order using the correct link. See the Facebook event for more details.

Party at the Smart: Radioactive

Smart Museum, 8 p.m., free

Featuring original performances by UChicago students, drop by the Smart to reflect on themes of material happiness and experimentation, in line with the new exhibit, The Allure of Matter. Complimentary food will be served.

Friday [2/21]

What Justice Looks Like: Art as Activism

Reynolds Club, 12:30 p.m., free

Human Rights Lab artist-in-residence Dorothy Burge discusses how art can be utilized as an instrument for social activism by raising awareness, exposing exploitation, or calling for societal transformation. Lunch will be provided.

Motet Choir

Cathey Learning Center, Harper Memorial Library, 7:30 p.m., free

If you ever wondered what it would sound like to sing in the halls of Harper, catch Motet Choir this Friday as they fill the building with a cappella.

Saturday [2/22]

Megascreening! Parasite by Bong Joon-ho

Doc Films, Saturday [2/22] at 7:30 p.m. and 9:30 p.m., Sunday [2/23] at 4 p.m., $7

Wondering what the Oscar hype was about? Want to watch this masterpiece for the second time? Third? Join Doc Films in the screening of Parasite; you don’t want to miss it.

Monday [2/24]

Jordan Alexander Stein: When Novels Were Books

Seminary Co-Op, 6 p.m., free

What is the novel? Does it belong in the category of literature? Jordan Alexander Stein will be in discussion with UChicago professor Sianne Ngai to untangle the complex history of written text, and how it differs from traditional literary narratives…or not.