ARTS

/  

February 25, 2020

Arting Around, 8th Week Edition

On Friday afternoon, learn about how some of your favorite computer animated films contain "reactionary undercurrents and unearthing fissures and fault lines in their ideological landscapes."

Courtesy of Film Studies Center

Ah, eighth week. The perfect balance between a subdued course load and the impending doom of final papers. Why not keep your mind off things for a bit with a dash of the celebration of diverse world culture?

Tuesday [2/25]

Mardi Gras Celebration

Hutchinson Commons, 8:30 p.m., free

The Catholic Students Association will host a Mardi Gras party. Munch on food from Heaven on Seven as you enjoy a live performance from Dirt Red.

Wednesday [2/26]

Éliane Radigue: Occam Ocean

Bond Chapel, 8 p.m., free

Musicians Julia Eckhardt and Nate Wooley join the Renaissance Society and Frequency Festival 2020 in an ethereal performance of acoustic electronic music. Meditative, intriguing, and complex, Radigue’s music in collaboration with both musicians will be performed on the trumpet and viola. RSVP on Eventbrite.

Friday [2/28]

Mihaela Mihailova: Computer Generated Ideology

Logan Center, 4 p.m., free

Cinema has always been a medium for social criticisms and political statements, blatantly obvious on-screen or not. But what does the world of animation offer to discussions of social justice and world conflict? Through movies such as Frozen II (2019), Zootopia (2016), and the How to Train Your Dragon trilogy (2010–19), Mihaela Mihailova connects visual aesthetics to the ideology of film producers to demonstrate how animation has transformed the way we introduce pressing political issues.

Electronic Format

Location TBD (Twitter: @whpk_chicago), 10 p.m., $5 in advance, $10 at the door ($5 after 2 a.m.)

Join WHPK for their Electronic Format debut, featuring music from UChicago student DJs. Genres include house, Chicago house, shaabi, and footwork.

Studio MODA: The 2020 Winter Fashion Show

Zhou B Art Center, 8 p.m., prices vary

Note: Only general VIP and standing tickets left.

MODA challenges the illusory limits of performance, creativity, art, and design every winter with their annual fashion show. This year focuses on industriousness and its intersectionality with design aesthetics. See Facebook event for more details. Tickets sold at UChicago Arts.

Saturday [2/29]

Swiss Night!

Shoreland Apartments (5454 South Shore Drive), 6 p.m., $5

Join UChicago’s French Club for a chill night of food and drinks, just a few stops away by CTA

Java Jive feat. Blue Maroon

Ida Noyes Library Lounge, 7:30 p.m., free

The Chicago Swing Dance Society will collaborate with Blue Maroon for one glorious night of swing dancing. Beginner lessons start at 7:30 p.m., and general social dancing begins at 8:30 p.m.

KSO: Goblin

Mandel Hall, 6:30 p.m., $10 in advance or $12 at the door (dinner and show), $5 (just show)

With this year’s theme inspired by smash-hit K-drama Goblin (which I recommend, may I add), KSO hosts a night of dinner, dance, and musical performance in celebration of Korean culture. See the Facebook event for more details.

OBS Presents: Throwback!

Ida Noyes Theatre (third floor), 7 p.m., $10 in advance, $12 at the door

The Organization of Black Students celebrates the final days of Black History Month with a cultural performance. Enjoy the show and definitely stay for the music, food, and pictures afterwards. Tickets on sale starting February 24, from 11 a.m. to 5 p.m. at Reynolds Club. See the Facebook event for more details.

Sunday [3/1]

UChicago Presents: Russian Renaissance

Logan Center, 3 p.m., $10 student ticket with UCID

2017 M-Prize competition winner Russian Renaissance comes to UChicago to kick off March. Weaving the traditional and the modern, the ensemble consists of balalaikas, the domra, and the accordion and spans the diverse genres of tango, classical, and folk. Tickets are sold at UChicago Arts.