NEWSLETTER

/  

March 4, 2020

UCMC Patient Tests Negative for COVID-19; Hong Kong Study Abroad Relocated | Newsletter for March 4

Subscribe to the Maroon Newsletter.

Good morning. Stay safe: wash your hands! 🧼

In other health news, a UChicago Medical Center patient suspected of having COVID-19 has tested negative for the disease.

• News of the patient’s admission first came on Monday night.
  • The patient was not a member of the university, Provost Ka Yee Lee said in an email on Tuesday.
  • Provost Lee also announced new guidelines, including encouraging university community members who returned from a CDC Level 3 country to self-isolate for two weeks.

The University has relocated a Spring 2020 study abroad program to Hong Kong over coronavirus fears.

• The Colonisations program will be taught in London instead.
  • This news comes after the January 29 closure of the University’s Yuen Campus in Hong Kong over COVID-19 fears.

The president of the Association of Flight Attendants, a union of flight attendants, spoke at an IOP event last week, discussing everything from the 2020 election to graduate student unionization

Illinois state representative Theresa Mah (Ph.D. ’99),.endorsed UC United’s call for the university administration to create an ethnic studies department.

Some fourth years are urging their peers not to donate to the Class of 2020’s Senior Class Gift.

• The group, Reclaim Our Gift, aims to “prevent the University from siphoning more money from us through the Senior Class Gift, but to redirect funds to the communities this University harms the most.”

Subscribe to our mailing list

* indicates required

________________

In Viewpoints

Editor Ruby Rorty writes in:

Columnist Manya Bharadwaj argues that new adjustments to the academic calendar will fail to address student mental health woes.

The Maroon’s Editorial Board argues that the administration must either recognize Greek Life or stop using it to collect alumni dollars. ________________

In Sports

Editor Brinda Rao writes in:

This past weekend, Men and Women's Basketball played their final home games of the season.