/  

March 3, 2020

UChicago Medicine Patient Suspected of Having Coronavirus Tests Negative

The University of Chicago and its medical center

Courtesy of University of Chicago

The University of Chicago Medicine (UCM) patient suspected of contracting the novel coronavirus COVID-19 has tested negative for the virus, according to Lorna Wong, executive director of communications at UCM. The patient was not affiliated with the University, according to a statement published by University Provost Ka Yee Lee this afternoon. In an email forwarded to The Maroon, Wong informed hospital staff of UCM’s continued approach to handling the virus. 

“We remain committed to providing safe and effective care to those in our community who become infected with COVID-19. We will continue to work with federal, state and local health officials as we monitor the situation locally and nationally while also ensuring UChicago Medicine’s readiness for the various stages of the epidemic,” Wong said. 

In a statement published last week, UCM Vice President of Risk Management and Patient Safety Krista Curell said, “We’re following rigorous isolation and infection control protocols to ensure the safety of our staff, patients and our neighbors.” 

There have been four cases of coronavirus confirmed in Illinois. Two patients have since made a full recovery. Health officials are actively monitoring an additional 286 patients in the state for signs of the virus as of Monday afternoon, according to NBC

RELATED COVERAGE

UChicago Medicine Admits First Patient Suspected of Having Coronavirus

By Maroon Staff

An email sent Monday night to staff said that the hospital is working with federal health officials to follow isolation and infection control protocols.

/  

March 2, 2020