Admissions Office Gets TikTok

As of May 25, the UChicago Admissions account has 15 videos, with 474 followers, and 1,496 likes.
The admissions office housed in Rosenwald Hall.

On April 3, UChicago Admissions posted its first TikTok. The inaugural video recreates the intro montage to the sitcom Full House, introducing Dean of Admissions Jim Nondorf and Director of Undergraduate Admissions Peter Wilson, along with several student staffers. 

The Chinese video-sharing platform, which was launched in America in August of 2018, has over 800 million users. As of May 25, the UChicago admissions account has 15 videos, with 474 followers, and 1,496 likes. 

UChicago appears to be one of few institutions with an official admissions account, an honor shared by George Washington University, Western Michigan University, and the University of California, Irvine.

Other videos include attempts to recreate dishes from Bartlett dining hall, and RSO spotlights featuring groups like Maya, a contemporary fusion dance RSO, the Ransom Notes a cappella group, and UC Cheer. 

Many videos include remote submissions from students living at home during quarantine and footage of past events on campus, such as Ruth Bader Ginsburg’s September 2019 visit. Most of the videos seem to be geared toward sharing the on-campus experience with applicants who cannot visit due to the pandemic. 

The admissions office did not respond to a request for comment.