Remembering Marcus Goodman; Student Coffee Shops to Reopen | Newsletter for October 20

The October 20, 2021 edition of The Maroon newsletter.

Subscribe to the Maroon Newsletter.

Good morning. It’s fourth week. Enjoying the weather? ⛅

Read this week's edition of The Maroon here.

_____________________________________

Join the Lumen Christi Institute for a lecture by theologian Khaled Anatolios (University of Notre Dame) on “The Salvific Power of the Inner Life of Christ: The Witness of the Ecumenical Councils.”
Join the Lumen Christi Institute for a lecture by theologian Khaled Anatolios (University of Notre Dame) on “The Salvific Power of the Inner Life of Christ: The Witness of the Ecumenical Councils.” (Lumen Christi Institute)

Click here to learn more!

_____________________________________

College Council (CC) unanimously passed two resolutions to reform their policies on giving statements and voting procedures, with the aim of making these processes more transparent and formalized.

• The resolution followed from Undergraduate Student Government (USG)’s May statement, which was released in collaboration with Students for Justice in Palestine.
  • The drafting process for the statement was unclear. The new resolution, in turn, would not allow for such confidentiality.
  • The resolution also aims to help USG avoid a systemic problem of mixed messaging.
  • In addition, another passed resolution amended CC’s bylaws to state that votes on resolutions and measures that impact the public will occur in public, open meetings.

The past week saw 15 new positive COVID-19 cases, down from 17 cases in the previous week.

• This week’s new cases have 195 close contacts. The total number of positive cases is 107 as of Friday.
  • Students and staff who have enrolled in the University’s mandatory or voluntary COVID-19 testing program can choose to receive their test at Chicago Booth’s downtown Gleacher Center location.
  • As of Friday, more than 91 percent of University employees have been vaccinated.

Harper Café, Hallowed Grounds, Cobb Café, and Ex Libris plan to reopen during sixth week.

• Plans are in place to have at least one of the four shops back in business by October 25 and the other three operating by November 1. 
  • The reopening of Ex Libris is prioritized due to its status as the largest and most-trafficked shop, but the order of the reopenings will ultimately depend on which shops’ equipment is deemed functional following an inspection.
  • The student retail program is looking to hire 70 staff members across the four stores. Harper Café alone received 130 applications.

_____________________________________

In Grey City

Editor Laura Gersony writes in:

As the campus community mourns the loss of third-year Marcus Goodman, his girlfriend, Adrianna Layne, writes in memory of the third-year beloved by so many: “a kindhearted person who loved it all.”

_____________________________________

In Sports

Editor Finn Hartnett writes in:

The Wicker Park–based Chi-Slam Table Tennis Club has an illustrious history. So does its director, Ardy Taveerasert.

Mitch Trubisky is out, Andy Dalton is sidelined, and Justin Fields is in. Change is coming for the Bears, and for sports reporter Dheeraj Devarajan, that can only be a good thing.

_____________________________________

In Arts

Editor Angélique Alexos writes in:

Based on the 2011 BBC documentary, Jamie: Drag Queen at 16, the 2021 movie-musical Everybody’s Talking About Jamie shows the excitement and joy in sharing stories about teenagers.

Netflix’s highly popular series Squid Game may not be worth all the hype.