UChicago Reports 13 New COVID-19 Cases, Encourages All Students to Receive Vaccinations Before End of Spring Quarter

No new changes to the health pact are expected for the rest of the quarter, and COVID policies for next year are “under development.”
Looking north from 55th Street at Hyde Park and the South Side, with the Loop in the distance.

The University reported 13 new cases of COVID-19 this week, according to a UChicago Forward email sent to the University community Friday, May 7. There are two close contacts associated with the new cases.

Two of the cases were identified from UChicago’s off-campus Surveillance Testing program, bringing the past week’s positivity rate to 0.05 percent in that population. Currently, five or fewer students are living in on-campus isolation housing, while six are isolating off-campus. The University Accident/Incident Reporting System received 25 reports this week. 

With Phase 2 of COVID-19 Vaccination underway, the University has now issued vaccination invitations via MyChart for all eligible students. First vaccine appointments must be scheduled to take place before or on May 21 in order to complete the two-shot Pfizer-BioNTech vaccine sequence by the end of Spring Quarter on June 12. 

Despite the CDC’s modification of guidelines regarding fully-vaccinated individuals, the email wrote that “we do not expect any major changes to the requirements in the UChicago Health Pact for the duration of the spring quarter.” For instance, while the CDC has stated that fully-vaccinated individuals do not have to wear a mask outdoors, the Health Pact still requires individuals to wear a mask while on campus grounds. The email also noted that “policies for the 2021-22 academic year are under development with close consultation by medical experts.”

Students who experience symptoms of COVID-19 are still required to self-isolate and arrange for prompt testing, either by calling Student Wellness at (773) 834–9355 or the UCMedical triage hotline at (773) 702–2800.