Claire B. Salling

CONTRIBUTIONS

Uncommon Interview with Elena Bodnar

The MAROON caught up with U of C researcher Elena Bodnar to talk about Chernobyl, her “Convertible Bra-Mask,” which unhinges to form two gas masks that can slip over the mouth and nose, and her Ig Nobel Prize.

/  

October 9, 2009

Rowley: Work-life balance difficult for women in medicine

Professor Janet Rowley, a pioneer in leukemia research and one of three women in her medical school class of 65 students, spoke on the challenges women face when entering the medical field.

/  

May 22, 2009

Les Misérables read in six-day marathon

The Department of Romance Languages and Literature, the University Community Service Center, and the France Chicago Center staged a marathon reading of the work in its original French, hoping to provoke recognition of the despair caused by the cur...

/  

May 19, 2009

Sex as 14th-century spiritual experience discussed

Constance Furey, associate professor of theology at Indiana University, focused on the role of sexual mystical texts in the history of European Christianity during a talk Thursday in Swift Hall.

/  

May 15, 2009

Computer science world finals send University team to compete in Stockholm

The problems they will encounter range from "tough to extremely difficult."

/  

April 17, 2009

Erwood, energy researcher, dead at 80

Last week Erwood, a research associate employed at Fermilab from the late 1950s to the early 1990s and a former lab assistant to Enrico Fermi, died in Bedford, IN, at the age of 80 from asbestos-related cancer.

/  

April 7, 2009

Pastor-preacher details science-faith dichotomy

Science and religion “share in a common quest for truth,” he said, and each has gifts it can give the other.

/  

February 17, 2009

Professor traces dinosaur extinction through clam fossil analysis

The mass extinction that ended the reign of the dinosaurs millions of years ago can be traced through the relative ages of modern species, according to the latest research at the University of Chicago and the University of California–Berkeley.

/  

February 6, 2009

Darwin's birthday celebrated in Rockefeller

Professor Russell H. Tuttle delivered a sermon Sunday in honor of the 200th anniversary of Charles Darwin's birth and the 150th anniversary of his most famous publication. similar service was held fifty years ago.

/  

February 3, 2009

Moscona, biology professor, dead at 87

Aron Arthur Moscona, a pioneer in developmental biology and a professor emeritus at the University, died on January 14 of heart failure in Manhattan.

/  

January 30, 2009