/  

April 1, 2019

Acceptance Rate Drops to Record Low 5.9 Percent for Class of 2023

The acceptance rate for UChicago's Class of 2023 reached an all-time low of 5.9 percent, Dean of Admissions Jim Nondorf told admitted students at reception held at Credit Suisse in New York on March 30.

Lee Harris / The Chicago Maroon

The acceptance rate for the Class of 2023 reached an all-time low of 5.9 percent, Dean of Admissions James Nondorf said during an admitted students reception held at Credit Suisse in New York on Saturday. The acceptance rate for the Class of 2022 was 7.2 percent, 1.3 percentage points higher than for the Class of 2023. This year’s acceptance rate is the lowest in the University’s history.

According to Nondorf, the University received just under 35,000 applications, an increase of almost 3,000 applicants compared to the 32,291 applicants for the Class of 2022.

The Class of 2023 also has the highest standardized test scores ever, “about 15 points” above last year’s average, Nondorf said at the reception. According to UChicago College Admissions, last year’s middle 50 percent of admitted students scored between 1490 and 1560.

The University typically does not publicly comment on admissions numbers until fall quarter. This is the second year in a row that Nondorf has released admissions statistics during an admitted students reception, following last year’s announcement.

Nondorf’s speech on Saturday was recorded during the reception and sent to The Maroon. The source wishes to stay anonymous.

“As you can imagine, this has been an interesting admissions season,” Nondorf said, likely in reference to the college admissions bribery scandal that has charged over 50 wealthy parents in a conspiracy to buy their children’s way into several elite universities. UChicago has not been implicated in the scandal.

“Every day, I’m quite happy to not be in the media,” Nondorf said. “I used to make jokes about cheating, but I don’t do that anymore.”

Nondorf also indicated his excitement to receive videos and artwork from students along with the essays UChicago traditionally accepts. This is part of the UChicago Empower Initiative, which gives students the option of submitting a two-minute video introduction instead of the traditional alumni interview. The initiative, in its first year, also allows students to submit non-standard materials as part of their applications, including artwork and research abstracts.

Echoing statements he made in recent years, Nondorf said that “this was the most selective class we have ever had."

RELATED COVERAGE

Acceptance Rate Plummets to 7.2 Percent for Class of 2022

By Pete Grieve

The regular decision admit rate was 4 percent, Dean of Admissions James Nondorf said at an admitted students reception in late March.

/  

May 3, 2018

/  

4:32 p.m.

Yield Rate Rises to 83 Percent for Class of 2023; Admit Rate Now at 6.2 Percent

Oren Oppenheim