Maroon Editorial Board

CONTRIBUTIONS

What We're Thankful For

Per tradition, The Maroon editorial board does its best to practice gratitude.

/  

November 24, 2020

As Chicago's Caseload Soars, the University and Its Community Must be a Part of the Solution

As Chicago enters a new stay-at-home advisory period, it’s on the University to respond to skyrocketing cases with more robust testing and informational measures, and on its members to take advantage of these programs and stay home.

/  

November 20, 2020

Don’t Get Your Hopes Up About Zimmer’s Replacement

The president ultimately reports to the trustees, and they have given no signs of wanting a new direction for Zimmer’s successor.

/  

November 12, 2020

Dear First-Years: The World Has Slowed Down. So Can We.

The Maroon Editorial Board urges incoming students to prioritize rest and community-building as they begin their time at UChicago—not just academics.

/  

September 27, 2020

UChicago Can and Should Lobby the Federal Government

The Maroon calls on the University to take its clout with the federal government more seriously, especially when it acts alongside other institutions.

/  

September 27, 2020

COVID-19 Testing Should be Mandatory for University of Chicago Students

Mandatory universal testing should form a cornerstone of the University's plan to reopen this fall. Currently, the University's testing plan is inadequate and creates unnecessary risks in an already uncertain quarter.

/  

September 13, 2020

What’s Missing From the Reopening Plan? A Contingency Plan and Communication

Given the University’s decision to reopen campus, the institution owes its members information about how many infections it will tolerate before changing plans—and frequent updates about just how close to that change in plans we are.

/  

September 11, 2020

Do Better Than the UChicago Health Pact

In the absence of stronger expectations from the University around mitigating the spread of COVID-19, UChicago students must buy into prevention measures themselves—at the peril of their fellow students and the South Side.

/  

September 11, 2020

The University Must Disband Its Private Police Force

As the nation reckons with its relationship to largely unaccountable, racist law enforcement, the University of Chicago must do its part to bring justice to the South Side by abolishing UCPD.

/  

June 28, 2020

Reopening for the Right Reasons

The University of Chicago should make its decision about opening campus for the fall quarter based not on its bottom line, but on its status as a South Side anchor institution.

/  

May 25, 2020