Maroon Editorial Board

CONTRIBUTIONS

With Optimism, Vote Thrive

The Maroon Editorial Board endorses the Thrive Slate in this year’s Student Government executive slate election.

/  

April 21, 2021

/  

8 a.m.

How The University of Chicago Can Better Serve the South Side

Over the past four months, The Maroon Editorial Board deliberated how the University of Chicago can improve its relationship with the South Side. This series, the product of interviews with various community members, activists, and University associ…

FEATURE

/  

April 1, 2021

/  

5:22 p.m.

Shaping the Conversation: The Maroon’s Role in Reporting on Race, Equity, and Opportunity on the South Side

To overhaul our reporting standards on racial equity, we have established a Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion board as a starting point.

FEATURE

/  

March 30, 2021

/  

7:55 p.m.

To Repair Historic Harm, the University Must Endow South Siders With Capital and Control

The University should fund a Center for Reparative Justice and incorporate a Community Board into the Office of Civic Engagement to direct their initiatives on the South Side.

FEATURE

/  

March 30, 2021

/  

7:50 p.m.

It’s Time for UChicago To Rethink Its Development Strategy

The University’s self-interested development strategy has long displaced low-income Southsiders. It must take direct action to support affordable housing in the area and create an institutional framework to ensure that its development decisions are …

FEATURE

/  

March 30, 2021

/  

7:48 p.m.

To Be a Better Neighbor on the South Side, UChicago Must Begin on Its Own Campus

UChicago must make its physical spaces more accessible and open its academic and professional resources to the South Side.

FEATURE

/  

March 30, 2021

/  

7:44 p.m.

What We're Thankful For

Per tradition, The Maroon editorial board does its best to practice gratitude.

/  

November 24, 2020

As Chicago's Caseload Soars, the University and Its Community Must be a Part of the Solution

As Chicago enters a new stay-at-home advisory period, it’s on the University to respond to skyrocketing cases with more robust testing and informational measures, and on its members to take advantage of these programs and stay home.

/  

November 20, 2020

Don’t Get Your Hopes Up About Zimmer’s Replacement

The president ultimately reports to the trustees, and they have given no signs of wanting a new direction for Zimmer’s successor.

/  

November 12, 2020

Dear First-Years: The World Has Slowed Down. So Can We.

The Maroon Editorial Board urges incoming students to prioritize rest and community-building as they begin their time at UChicago—not just academics.

/  

September 27, 2020