Maroon Editorial Board

CONTRIBUTIONS

COVID-19 Testing Should be Mandatory for University of Chicago Students

Mandatory universal testing should form a cornerstone of the University's plan to reopen this fall. Currently, the University's testing plan is inadequate and creates unnecessary risks in an already uncertain quarter.

/  

September 13, 2020

What’s Missing From the Reopening Plan? A Contingency Plan and Communication

Given the University’s decision to reopen campus, the institution owes its members information about how many infections it will tolerate before changing plans—and frequent updates about just how close to that change in plans we are.

/  

September 11, 2020

Do Better Than the UChicago Health Pact

In the absence of stronger expectations from the University around mitigating the spread of COVID-19, UChicago students must buy into prevention measures themselves—at the peril of their fellow students and the South Side.

/  

September 11, 2020

The University Must Disband Its Private Police Force

As the nation reckons with its relationship to largely unaccountable, racist law enforcement, the University of Chicago must do its part to bring justice to the South Side by abolishing UCPD.

/  

June 28, 2020

Reopening for the Right Reasons

The University of Chicago should make its decision about opening campus for the fall quarter based not on its bottom line, but on its status as a South Side anchor institution.

/  

May 25, 2020

Asynchronous Learning Techniques Facilitate Success for Students in Diverse Circumstances

Given students’ different learning environments this quarter, flexibility with timing and learning media, not relying on real-time Zoom classes, is the best way to ensure a rigorous quarter while being considerate of such different situations.

/  

May 6, 2020

Student Government Executive Slate Must Balance Serious Ideas With Pragmatism

Of the four groups running for Student Government’s Executive Slate this year, no one slate showed both big thinking and administrative know-how. However, voters should be aware that they are not choosing between equal options.

/  

April 29, 2020

Calendar Committee's Revisions Sidelined Students

In line with a broader trend of ignoring students, administrators failed to meaningfully involve undergrads in the recently announced, major changes to the academic calendar.

/  

March 14, 2020

The Unsung Dilemmas of Unrecognized Greek Life

The administration trots out Greek organizations when it proves lucrative to do so, then cries “non-recognition!” to avoid association with Greek life's less savory aspects.

/  

March 3, 2020

For Truly Effective Mental Healthcare, Listen to Students

Despite a shiny new wellness center, administrators’ approach toward mental health ignores student voices.

/  

February 19, 2020